Edited vs Unedited Playthroughs

JamesGAMES YT

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
As a YouTube viewer for years, I've always preferred unedited playthroughs. Recently I started a new YouTube channel and started doing (mostly) unedited playthroughs. I include pretty much all the gameplay and commentary and edit out the loading screens, bathroom breaks, and times where I'm constantly dying. Each video is around 1.5 hours. Maybe it's too early to look at my analytics, but I've noticed in the 20 playthrough videos I've produced for Spyro 2 and The Last of Us that the audience retention is below 40%. In some videos the retention is even lower than 20%. Do you guys think doing edited playthroughs would increase my audience retention?

PixelGuitar

Reaction score
It depends on the game. Singleplayer games like the Last Of Us work well without editing. But there are so many playthroughs, so maybe editing would set it apart from other playthroughs. Multiplayer games are more fun when they are edited.

Reactions: JamesGAMES YT

JamesGAMES YT

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I play really only single player games, and I agree with you when it comes to The Last of Us. I don't know as I said before I'm new to Youtube so my sample size is relatively small. Maybe I should try my unedited videos for a little while longer.

ItsMeJackP

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
You could do both! Upload the highlights, then a week later upload the unedited version? Or maybe single out parts people are likely to google "how do I do such-and-such puzzle" and at the end say that this was from a longer video, where you play the whole game?

Foriki

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you're really dont like editing much, make vid bout long walkthrough as usual, maybe break it into separate vids and put them in playlist.

Reactions: JamesGAMES YT