Hot Topic Duplicated content, channel reviews and takedowns - Official Youtube statement

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Youtube have recently made an official statement regarding Partner Program reviews and takedowns for duplicate content and other reasons.

I am pinning this to the top of the forum.

Link to the blog post: https://support.google.com/youtube/forum/AAAAiuErobUUxfdrq_tAlM/?hl=en

I am also copy-pasting the whole article here since the goal of the article is to be seen by a maximum of YouTubers:

Date: 10th October 2018

Hi everyone,

As part of our ongoing efforts to protect the creator community from abuse, all YouTube Partner Program participants (both new and existing) are being carefully reviewed on a regular basis to ensure they meet the program policies outlined here.

Following these reviews, we’ve identified groups of channels that don’t comply with YPP policies and have recently removed these channels with the opportunity to remove or update their content and reapply in 30 days. One area we’ve seen a ton of questions around is “duplication” so we wanted to share more information about what this means and next steps if you’d like to monetize in the future.

Channel removed from YPP for duplication – what does this mean?! It’s important to note that “duplicative content” is not just about copyright. The spirit of this YPP policy is to make sure we’re only allowing channels into the program when the content adds value, and is original and relevant. If you upload content from multiple sources or repurpose existing content, you may still be eligible for YPP so long as you’re contributing to the value of that content in some way. For example, if you add significant original commentary, educational value, narrative, or high quality editing, then your channel may be fine to monetize. Check out this Help Center article for more information on Content Quality Guidelines related to YPP.

What about content ID claims, commercial use rights, or fair use? In most cases, even if you have licenses to use the content or your videos are protected by copyright laws, such as fair use, if the main purpose of your channel is to monetize other channels’ or sources’ content, then you won’t be eligible for YPP. You still need to be contributing to the value of that content in some way. Note: some of these videos may still be fine to remain up on YouTube!

What are some examples of content that would be removed for duplication?

• Appears to be automatically generated

• Pulled from third party sources with no content or narrative added by the creator

• Uploaded many times by multiple users and you’re not the original uploader

• Uploaded in a way that is trying to get around our copyright tools

• This Help Center article has more details!
If my channel was removed for duplication, what can I do? You can remove or update content to comply with our policies and reapply for YPP in 30 days. At that time, we will carefully review your application and channel again. Here are some best practices to get you started:

• Add commentary or show your presence in your videos (voice or on screen)

• Link back to your YouTube channel from your website

• Provide more context about your work in your video and channel descriptions

• Make sure the content on your channel aligns with our policies. You can review: Community Guidelines,AdSense Policies, andYouTube Partner Program policies.
What if my channel is still under review for YPP? We know many of you applying for YPP still see “channel under review” in Creator Studio. This means our review team has not come to a clear decision during the initial review, so we’re putting extra effort and resources into reviewing your channel multiple times before making a final decision. We are hoping to share out final decisions with all of these channels by the end of the year.In the meantime, the best thing you can do is keep uploading original content as the more info/content to review, the better! All of the best practices and policies shared above are relevant for you too!

Hope this information is helpful!
Jordan

Source: https://support.google.com/youtube/forum/AAAAiuErobUUxfdrq_tAlM/?hl=en

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Let me ask you a question. All my content is original to me. I never use anything from anybody else. I don't usually reuse any of my content, in a few instances, I do. Say for instance I do review videos on two different products, and then later I make a VS video comparing these two products with each other and use footage from the original review videos to make the Comparison video. Another instance would be where I make a montage, using bits of several of my former sporting videos. Would either of these be considered "duplication"?

Reactions: AllVisuals4U

CTAC

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the information. It was really interesting to read the material on this topic.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Let me ask you a question. All my content is original to me. I never use anything from anybody else. I don't usually reuse any of my content, in a few instances, I do. Say for instance I do review videos on two different products, and then later I make a VS video comparing these two products with each other and use footage from the original review videos to make the Comparison video. Another instance would be where I make a montage, using bits of several of my former sporting videos. Would either of these be considered "duplication"?
Hummm.....?