Don't just make videos, become a Youtuber!

EasyE

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've seen many people who have said that they would become the best Youtuber ever, but most of them never do. I usually see so many people doing their own videos in hopes of achieving something but in reality only those who understand how Youtube works and how to make high quality and unique videos are the people who don't just make videos, they are Youtubers.

In this post of mine, I'll tell you the difference between someone who makes videos and someone who is a Youtuber, as well as some basic tips to follow. I'm a very experienced Youtuber and I know all the do's and don'ts so no worries, this information is very general and reliable :3

People who make videos

It's pretty easy to make a video since everyone has a mobile device with a camera (obviously since we are in the age of technology gosh). You can make videos on pretty much anything you want and hope that they will get 1 000 000 views, but in reality thousands perhaps even millions of other people around the world probably have your idea as well, so really your not really achieving as much as you think you are. After working with countless people I can tell you one main mistake that these people make. The main ideology of most people who start making videos is that they think that they can make videos that will make them famous, rich etc use your imagination. Youtube itself is not simple what so ever in fact Youtube can be so complicated and only people who understand how Youtube works are successful.

Here's how Youtube works in a nutshell. It's a basic site that allows people to show home made videos globally. Youtube has a system where they organize these millions and millions of videos in such a way that to actually find these videos (such as gaming, cooking, sports etc) certain videos are more likely to be shown then others based on views and like/dislike terminology. Youtube gains money from ads that thousands of companies invest to Youtube. Youtube allows "monetization" which we are all familiar with where the person can allow ads on their videos to gain money while Youtube gains money themselves. For some big Youtubers they tend to do very well since Youtube recognizes their potential (in money not so much in talent as you may think) and features them on the front page. Youtube is actually like an industry as everyone plays their own roles that overall help Youtube itself be successful and dominate as the internets #1 video site. Trust me, there's probably not a single person who does not know what Youtube is.

So basically if you had no idea how Youtube even worked before you started making videos then you were missing out on a lot. So your dreams on getting 1 000 000 views is impossible if you didn't realize this. Of course some people get lucky if they make very unique videos which personally is actually a key factor to getting started, but not really becoming a Youtuber. Youtubers have certain qualities that make them who they are, and what give them the right to say to themselves "hey I'm a Youtuber!" versus someone who has made 20 videos with no views. Not to crush dreams or anything but truly Youtube is very complex and very little people actually become real Youtubers.

People who are "Youtubers"

What is a Youtuber? Well a Youtuber is a person who makes videos. Seems familiar doesn't it? But this is actually not entirely true. Sure they make videos, but there is much more to it then you can ever imagine. Youtubers are people who understand how Youtube works and therefore know how to overcome it. They know that they can't just make videos and hope they will get popular no, they understand how to make videos that stand out significantly. They do not have silly ideologies in their heads, but rather goals and passions which in return gives them the will to make videos. A Youtuber is someone in my honest opinion, is someone who knows what they are doing and knows what to expect. They know how to make good videos and put time and effort into it. Youtubers are people who have chosen to be a part of the massive Youtube community.

The main difference between a person who makes videos and a Youtuber is effort. I laugh sometimes remembering all the people who thought they were so high and mighty with their videos when they got no views and got them no where. I know one person who was not like this. They watched other Youtubers, did research on certain things for their videos, reached out professional advice, discovered new tools and sites for their use, etc. The main issue that I find which could explain why so many people fail to become Youtubers is that they just can't do it. They are not willing to put effort into their work and more importantly are not willing to make videos consistently. These people just are not capable I think and I'm not one to judge per say, but people who make videos blindly are just plain fools. People who make videos that have a purpose are already on the road to success.

So how do you become a Youtuber?

There is no right way to become a Youtuber, but there is a standard set of things to follow:

1. Make videos that have a purpose for other people not for yourself
2. Make videos that you like to do
3. Make videos with effects, good quality etc.
4. Do your research in what ever it is your making videos on
5. Your not some god, your just a person like everyone else (keep that in mind)
6. Make videos that stand out, don't make generic videos that have already been done
7. Be consistent, don't just make 20 videos that's just a waste (have a schedule)
8. Know how to commentate/talk, if you can't even entertain yourself then there's a problem
9. Your the master, do what you think is necessary (research, improvements)
10. Ask yourself if you want to make videos, if you say yes then you are own the road to becoming a Youtuber

If there is one thing that I've learnt throughout making videos is that you just keep going. If you keep making good videos, if you are having fun making them, if you know exactly what you are working towards then in no time at all you can become a real Youtuber. Remember the moment you tell yourself that you might stop making videos for any reason, then maybe you just were not ready to make videos in the first place. Good luck to you and keep going, just keep going. :3

GamesWithJames

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Thanks man this realy hellped me a lot. It helped me to make up my mind and I realized that I realy love making videos! Thank you again. You have new subscriber! :)

Reactions: Panton

TheBatteryChicken

Level 34 Drug Dealer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I love how it says dont just make videos and then the 3 first points about how to be a youtuber are centred around making videos

theAFROtoto

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
My quality isn't the best but it's slowly getting better. I find it easier to keep uploading untill I find the exact style I want an feel is right. I'm working on an end card and I am having a decent opening sorted out for me by someone who knows what they are doing :)

Reactions: Colormyfootsteps

BlazingMenace

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Honestly, I couldn't have said any of this better myself. I think this thread deserves to be upvoted or stickied or SOMETHING, and I absolutely need to confirm a few things.

Having a real goal, a PURPOSE (<-- I really can't stress that word enough), to making videos and actually enjoying the act of making them are, in my truly honest opinion, the FIRST reasons why you should even consider making videos in the first place. Forget money, fame, or any other similar ideas you may have, because people see right through that.

I once again feel the need to reiterate the reason why I started my gaming channel recently (that I mentioned in multiple other threads), and that is because I was getting bored of what the industry had to offer and gaming in general just wasn't as fun anymore, so I decided to simply record and edit videos of me playing games I knew I'd enjoy for me and anyone else to watch and get an extra laugh in their day.

I genuinely don't know how to explain it, but it just made gaming that much more fun for me. I literally feel like a 10 year old again :)

Edit: Oh good, it's already stickied. Didn't notice, lol.

Last edited:

the intergalactrix

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
i need to come up with some kind of schedule. while we are a music group and we can only do so many "music videos"...we can definitely do some spoof songs (our first one did better than our actual song), and collaborative efforts, to offer something to subscribers. fantastic thread!

Chrisicut

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Very nice post, I agree with the points you made, it's awesome that you spent the time to write all of that for us!

ProfKranc

Voice actor and Film-maker here to help :-D
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I've seen many people who have said that they would become the best Youtuber ever, but most of them never do. I usually see so many people doing their own videos in hopes of achieving something but in reality only those who understand how Youtube works and how to make high quality and unique videos are the people who don't just make videos, they are Youtubers.

In this post of mine, I'll tell you the difference between someone who makes videos and someone who is a Youtuber, as well as some basic tips to follow. I'm a very experienced Youtuber and I know all the do's and don'ts so no worries, this information is very general and reliable :3

People who make videos

It's pretty easy to make a video since everyone has a mobile device with a camera (obviously since we are in the age of technology gosh). You can make videos on pretty much anything you want and hope that they will get 1 000 000 views, but in reality thousands perhaps even millions of other people around the world probably have your idea as well, so really your not really achieving as much as you think you are. After working with countless people I can tell you one main mistake that these people make. The main ideology of most people who start making videos is that they think that they can make videos that will make them famous, rich etc use your imagination. Youtube itself is not simple what so ever in fact Youtube can be so complicated and only people who understand how Youtube works are successful.

Here's how Youtube works in a nutshell. It's a basic site that allows people to show home made videos globally. Youtube has a system where they organize these millions and millions of videos in such a way that to actually find these videos (such as gaming, cooking, sports etc) certain videos are more likely to be shown then others based on views and like/dislike terminology. Youtube gains money from ads that thousands of companies invest to Youtube. Youtube allows "monetization" which we are all familiar with where the person can allow ads on their videos to gain money while Youtube gains money themselves. For some big Youtubers they tend to do very well since Youtube recognizes their potential (in money not so much in talent as you may think) and features them on the front page. Youtube is actually like an industry as everyone plays their own roles that overall help Youtube itself be successful and dominate as the internets #1 video site. Trust me, there's probably not a single person who does not know what Youtube is.

So basically if you had no idea how Youtube even worked before you started making videos then you were missing out on a lot. So your dreams on getting 1 000 000 views is impossible if you didn't realize this. Of course some people get lucky if they make very unique videos which personally is actually a key factor to getting started, but not really becoming a Youtuber. Youtubers have certain qualities that make them who they are, and what give them the right to say to themselves "hey I'm a Youtuber!" versus someone who has made 20 videos with no views. Not to crush dreams or anything but truly Youtube is very complex and very little people actually become real Youtubers.

People who are "Youtubers"

What is a Youtuber? Well a Youtuber is a person who makes videos. Seems familiar doesn't it? But this is actually not entirely true. Sure they make videos, but there is much more to it then you can ever imagine. Youtubers are people who understand how Youtube works and therefore know how to overcome it. They know that they can't just make videos and hope they will get popular no, they understand how to make videos that stand out significantly. They do not have silly ideologies in their heads, but rather goals and passions which in return gives them the will to make videos. A Youtuber is someone in my honest opinion, is someone who knows what they are doing and knows what to expect. They know how to make good videos and put time and effort into it. Youtubers are people who have chosen to be a part of the massive Youtube community.

The main difference between a person who makes videos and a Youtuber is effort. I laugh sometimes remembering all the people who thought they were so high and mighty with their videos when they got no views and got them no where. I know one person who was not like this. They watched other Youtubers, did research on certain things for their videos, reached out professional advice, discovered new tools and sites for their use, etc. The main issue that I find which could explain why so many people fail to become Youtubers is that they just can't do it. They are not willing to put effort into their work and more importantly are not willing to make videos consistently. These people just are not capable I think and I'm not one to judge per say, but people who make videos blindly are just plain fools. People who make videos that have a purpose are already on the road to success.

So how do you become a Youtuber?

There is no right way to become a Youtuber, but there is a standard set of things to follow:

1. Make videos that have a purpose for other people not for yourself
2. Make videos that you like to do
3. Make videos with effects, good quality etc.
4. Do your research in what ever it is your making videos on
5. Your not some god, your just a person like everyone else (keep that in mind)
6. Make videos that stand out, don't make generic videos that have already been done
7. Be consistent, don't just make 20 videos that's just a waste (have a schedule)
8. Know how to commentate/talk, if you can't even entertain yourself then there's a problem
9. Your the master, do what you think is necessary (research, improvements)
10. Ask yourself if you want to make videos, if you say yes then you are own the road to becoming a Youtuber

If there is one thing that I've learnt throughout making videos is that you just keep going. If you keep making good videos, if you are having fun making them, if you know exactly what you are working towards then in no time at all you can become a real Youtuber. Remember the moment you tell yourself that you might stop making videos for any reason, then maybe you just were not ready to make videos in the first place. Good luck to you and keep going, just keep going. :3
This is a very good outline. I truth be told don't think I understand how youtube works, and I think it will take me a while to understand.
Its a good point that you have to understand youtube and the people you are pitching your content to when making your videos. I don't a vlogger like Tyler Oakley would be as famous if he didn't play to popular fan girl audiences like fans of One Direction etc.

However I do know that I put a lot of effort into the video I make. So would that make me a..... Youtuber-to-be? Actual question.

Reactions: Panton