Does YouTube Favor Larger YouTubers?

Tuurngait Gaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hello there YTTalk! I am Tuurngait!

So I hear a lot of smaller YouTubers talk about how YouTube is "s**t" because their videos get hardly any views. So most of the time when I see a small YouTuber complaining about this, I check out their videos and I see content I'm not really impressed with. Either it's low quality, not engaging, no edits or cuts, bad thumbnails, weird titles, put no effort into learning how to edit and reform their videos, or they just poop out content and expect to get large. Now is this every small YouTuber? No, of course not! Some of US small YouTubers try to put out the best content we can without overriding our channel with crappy content we don't enjoy ourselves!

Now to get on with things. Do I think YouTube favors LARGER YouTubers? Well of course! You know why? They're the FACE of YouTube! Of course it's hard to grow as a small channel. It takes time to build it up and lots of learning and experimenting! The reason YouTube showcases so many large YouTubers is because they want NEW users to see channels that have EXPERIENCE, pop out and make good content! BUT the point of YouTube is for ANYONE to express themselves and put their content out there and there are definitely people out there who love to go check out smaller YouTuber content!

Think of it like Twitch.tv. They highlight HIGH UP THERE streamers because they want new people to see streamers who "the masses" find entertaining. Not someone with 0-1 viewers. Sure though, you could make great content and some people solely won't check you out because your view count is extremely low. That's fine though, you don't want a viewer who watches you solely because you had a high view count!

We all start small. We all improve. We all learn. We all grow.

iMSaiyan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
The reason they advertise large YouTubers and put them in the front page is because of one word. Money. They can give a rats a** about what smaller YouTubers feel or think, they don't put it up there for small YT'bers to learn but for them to make more money. More watched videos/better retention = more revenue. Pretty plain and simple. Also yes I agree a lot of small YouTubers complain and their content is poop --

Reactions: Sam4God

Mello Fello's

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The reason they advertise large YouTubers and put them in the front page is because of one word. Money. They can give a rats a** about what smaller YouTubers feel or think, they don't put it up there for small YT'bers to learn but for them to make more money. More watched videos/better retention = more revenue. Pretty plain and simple. Also yes I agree a lot of small YouTubers complain and their content is poop --
OK well I agree with this guy to an extent. I do agree on the money part but I feel it's a little bit more sympathetic. YouTube is a business in the end and they need to make money to stay in business. So yes the way things are, it's an obvious strategy to use the biggest and most popular YouTubers. Now even though the smaller YouTubers do not make nearly as big of an impact, it is still in YT's best interest to help all YT channels. Because Pewdiepie started off just like all of us, so if you invest in those on your platform then eventually you will be able to reap the fruits of it.

That is why YT has the creator academy and all the helpful tools and videos to help us succeed.

Now we just need to push on and not stop, so our success depends on us.

iMSaiyan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
OK well I agree with this guy to an extent. I do agree on the money part but I feel it's a little bit more sympathetic. YouTube is a business in the end and they need to make money to stay in business. So yes the way things are, it's an obvious strategy to use the biggest and most popular YouTubers. Now even though the smaller YouTubers do not make nearly as big of an impact, it is still in YT's best interest to help all YT channels. Because Pewdiepie started off just like all of us, so if you invest in those on your platform then eventually you will be able to reap the fruits of it.

That is why YT has the creator academy and all the helpful tools and videos to help us succeed.

Now we just need to push on and not stop, so our success depends on us.
Yes they have creator academy and yes they do care (in the back of their minds) that the more popular people the better, but no they don't care to the point where they will feature small channels in the front page. It's more of a "if you make it, you make it, if you don't...then you don't" type of attitude for YouTube

Brito21

I've Got It
Reaction score
Yes youtube favors big channels because they have made it but it doesnt mean that smaller youtuber cant make it. it just 100 times hard but if you put in the work you can be big one day

Xynudu

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The big channels were once small. They put in the hard yards and polished their content.

YouTube didn't make them big overnight. There is no free ride. There is no instant success.

These winging go no where channels need to really assess what they are putting up. No one gave me a helping hand, yet I'm doing OK - no complaints.

I agree with the original poster - you get back what you put in.

Reactions: Crown and Lightsen

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
YouTube didn't make them big overnight. There is no free ride. There is no instant success.
I have seen a few channels become overnight successes more or less but it is very rare, from aimlessly spamming their channel around in comments asking for subscribers and for people to come to their channel to becoming some of the largest growing channels on the platform within a few weeks so it can happen, as to why I really couldn't tell you exactly, there are plenty of others with very similar content under performing with perfect content, perfect tags, SEO etc. doing everything these channels do and not getting anywhere.

I sometimes feel that either these channels got lucky with getting suggested at the right time and becoming viral extremely quickly with a runaway domino effect (I don't like to think that people just get lucky but it seems as if they do on YouTube, creators don't appear to have that much control over whether something performs or not and can only make educated guesses and cross their fingers) or YouTube has perhaps had some kind of manual intervention making these channels grow so quickly deliberately. It seems the first would be more likely to me though.

I don't believe they always favour larger channels because I see smaller channels getting suggested quite often, sometimes it appears new channels are given more of a chance than older more set in stone channels.

GucciCarry

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It's the same way it works in life. Media, government, police, they all favor the rich people. Pretty obvious when you see celebs get special treatment. It works the same for youtube. Youtube favors the bigger youtubers cuz more money.

Tuurngait Gaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It's the same way it works in life. Media, government, police, they all favor the rich people. Pretty obvious when you see celebs get special treatment. It works the same for youtube. Youtube favors the bigger youtubers cuz more money.
Yup yup. That's how the world is. Money runs it. It's understandable though. Having a lot of money allows you to actually live your life or keep your business going.

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Don't blame YouTube. Blame the fact there are so many people trying to join the same genre while making sub-par videos with sub-par attempts at SEO. You are your own undoing. Put in the right work, promote, improve your videos, find trending topics, and improve your searchability. People need to do those before laying blame elsewhere.

Reactions: Crown