Does youtube count views on forum?

quang

Reaction score
I have a video, and I share my video in a forum. I saw many views about my post in the forum, but I didn't see that in my youtube video. So my question is does youtube count views on forum?

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the main YouTube discussion forum. ^^

Reactions: quang

darksmokeyt

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
YouTube has a place in Creator Studio where you can see where your views are coming from. In short, yes. Although, different sites can have a different minimum view duration that is considered a view, which can make it look like you got a bunch of views externally, but only a portion of those actually counted given YouTube's criteria.

Last edited:

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
As long as you are getting views from real people (not fake views), from forum or blog or anywhere, your view will be counted. Unique IPs are counted I guess. YouTube usually keep real views and filter out bot views.

MyBigBrain

I've Got It
Reaction score
If you use the "share" link of a video in a forum, views from the forum will not count.
If you use the "embed" code (under a youtube video, click on "share", then "embed") views from a forum will count. The "embed" code is actually html, and requires inserting the html manually into the code of a website. It requires being able to modify the underlying code of the website, a privilege that only the host of the website (web server) has.
How do I know this? I have my own internet forum, and videos that users share in the forum are not counted as views. Even if the videos are watched a million times on my forum, zero views are registered.

darksmokeyt

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
If you use the "share" link of a video in a forum, views from the forum will not count.
If you use the "embed" code (under a youtube video, click on "share", then "embed") views from a forum will count. The "embed" code is actually html, and requires inserting the html manually into the code of a website. It requires being able to modify the underlying code of the website, a privilege that only the host of the website (web server) has.
How do I know this? I have my own internet forum, and videos that users share in the forum are not counted as views. Even if the videos are watched a million times on my forum, zero views are registered.
Oh

Last edited:

Styxie

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
What that's not true

1) You don't need to be an admin to put HTML in sites. A lot of messaging board features have some HTML features or dedicated embed buttons (yttalk has one, if you click "media" and put a link to your video, it'll embed.
2) Views do count, they'll just be shown as embedded views. I just checked one of my videos to double check and every view shows up.

Last edited:

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
A view is a view. And so long as the video is hosted on YouTube, the view counter will go up every time a real view is registered, regardless of how that video is embedded or shared or whatever. Very short views for a few seconds won't count but that's got nothing to do with the traffic source.

I saw many views about my post in the forum, but I didn't see that in my youtube video.
Just because someone opens a thread doesn't mean they're going to click and watch the video.

Reactions: Styxie

MyBigBrain

I've Got It
Reaction score
What that's not true

1) You don't need to be an admin to put HTML in sites. A lot of messaging board features have some HTML features or dedicated embed buttons (yttalk has one, if you click "media" and put a link to your video, it'll embed.
2) Views do count, they'll just be shown as embedded views. I just checked one of my videos to double check and every view shows up.

Yes, you are right. I forgot to mention that my vBulletin forum is cloud-based, and the cloud forum software does not have the option to embed (insert html), which means that it needs to be manually inserted by the webmaster.

If a forum software is not cloud-based (installed directly on the server), and has an option to embed html, then as long as people remember to use the "embed" code (not the "share" code), the views will register.[DOUBLEPOST=1512383655,1512382940][/DOUBLEPOST]
A view is a view. And so long as the video is hosted on YouTube, the view counter will go up every time a real view is registered, regardless of how that video is embedded or shared or whatever.
Users on my forum use the "share" code, since the forum doesn't allow embedding, and all videos played on my forum register no views. That's when I started to research the difference between the "share" code and the "embed" code, because obviously I want the views to register.

If people are using the "share" code on YTTalk and the played videos are registering views, then that is a good thing. :)

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Users on my forum use the "share" code, since the forum doesn't allow embedding, and all videos played on my forum register no views
All views from all sources will "register". The overall view count will go up. But different traffic sources are reported differently in analytics.

The "share" code is just the direct URL to the video. If your forum doesn't convert those direct URLs into embed code (as YTtalk does), then clicking on those URLs will simply take the user to the video page on Youtube. Then the video will play, the view counter will go up and the view will be registered in analytics as traffic source = "direct or unknown"

If the view is from an embed, then the view counter will also go up but the analytics traffic source will be "external" (and if you drill down, you can identify the domain name of the website) :)