Do you delete your videos from HARD DRIVE after uploading?

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
I have produced so many videos that my hard drive space is decreasing. I am keeping the backup of my videos, but lately I have been thinking to delete my videos from HARD DRIVE to save space.
How about you guys? Would you delete the backup videos from your Hard Drive after you upload on YouTube? Would you rather save your Hard Drive space or keep the backup copy of your videos?

Reactions: PinProject

Kirgle

"taking a swipe at everything"
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I suppose if cost is a factor deleting is fine as you can always re-download your video from youtube.

Just have to deal with the quality loss

Sifoutv Pottery

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think we can delete the file before editing and keep only the ready for upload file.With this way we cant edit again our video but we have the great quality of the uploaded video and we can re upload it on high quality if we need it.

Reactions: Jawad Soomro

DJBenz

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I never delete my own videos, or the source files, but I have an 8TB microserver that I keep all my files on. If it starts to get full, I'll just swap out a HDD to a larger capacity.

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Eventually I'm going to start using my server to store stuff as a backup and keep some external hard drives to archive it. I wouldn't recommend deleting the original videos, only the raw footage. I've been doing this almost 3yrs now & I'm half way through a 4tb drive because I've been deleting the raw footage and only keeping the originals. I've also been limiting myself to 720P vids at under 10mbps. Naturally this varies on channel type and requirements. But never delete the originals because you never know when you might need them in the future i.e. something could happen to your account, to youtube, or licensing reasons can come up/licensing deals in future may be offered to you etc, etc...). Video production isn't meant to be cheap (be it a job or hobby), those of us who maintain low budgets with our channels aren't just lucky but play it as smart as possible (I'm also a cheap-a**e so that helps) :p

CaptainDelugo

Even Blackbeard is scared of me!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
As soon as I uploaded the video I delete it. To get space and not get confused in the videos.
If I ever want to get these videos again then I use a simple online tool where I can download ANY video from Youtube :)

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
If I ever want to get these videos again then I use a simple online tool where I can download ANY video from Youtube
The problem with those tools & even the inbuilt 1 on YouTube itself; is that the quality you get the downloaded version in is much (noticeably) worse than what you uploaded it in. Those tools are also useless in a situation where you lose your channel along with the videos.

CaptainDelugo

Even Blackbeard is scared of me!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The problem with those tools & even the inbuilt 1 on YouTube itself; is that the quality you get the downloaded version in is much (noticeably) worse than what you uploaded it in. Those tools are also useless in a situation where you lose your channel along with the videos.
I agree. Although I really never see a way of re-using my old videos anyway... and yes in case of a wipe I'd be pretty screwed :)