Do you delete your videos from HARD DRIVE after uploading?

McCoob

Young Scientist
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I always delete. I don't see the point in keeping files once the video is on my channel.

ZachYT

I've Got It
Reaction score
Depends on the video content I suppose. If it's something expendable like gaming content, then yeah I could see deleting it after it's posted. But for me, I've been vlogging, and while I edit hours worth of footage down to five minutes each week - there's lots in those hours I wouldn't want to throw away. I may never use it, but I like having it in case I do.

If there's a question on whether to keep it or not, then keep it. Just invest in some cheap 2-4 terabyte external hard drives to store it!

IftiBashir

Undiscovered....
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I have a 20TB RAID drive that I keep all project and raw files on. It's my main editing drive. I need to keep all the project files as I refer back to them in newer reviews - to compare items etc.
It's getting full now though!!
Need to expand soon!

KnightZero

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Since I do daily gaming video's, I have no choice but to delete the raw footage after I edit it. A 20min video recording is 30-60gb depending on some factors and there is no way to keep all that data.

I do keep the edited video's as they are much much smaller. I do this in case YouTube messes something up or for some reason a video gets taken down. Of course this hasn't happened to me but I figure I'll play it safe. However once my 4TB drive fills up I'll have to make the call to get an external drive or just delete the oldest stuff to make room.

Wiscrack

Reaction score
I agree. Although I really never see a way of re-using my old videos anyway... and yes in case of a wipe I'd be pretty screwed :)
I can agree on this. Never saw a reason to keep uploaded videos on my HDD nor somewhere else to keep up the space and space is an issue for me since I have only 300 GB HDD.

Also wow, people how many money you spent on those 4T HDDs? I mean I do YouTube too and other things as well but never actually filled my 300 GBs yet neither... Nor I think I will anytime soon.

Reactions: CaptainDelugo
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I don't delete mine - in fact I keep most of the source footage where I can as well. I tend to add a bigger HDD or connect an external one up if I need some extra space.

I personally like having the files locally - should anything happen to my channel, I have them available.

JZilla1995

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I never delete my videos. Buy some new space. It's not that expensive anymore per terabyte.

KWKBOX

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I am a cyber hoarder and backup everything. If hoarders only knew about my 5 petabytes of data I have. That is an episode for sure.

A and M Treehouse

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
External hard drive, just like most people that have replied. I do delete the older clips but keep the final video. I don't see a point of keeping it, but hey, you never know. It's like $100 for a 2 TB hard drive.

Jessie-Kate

Reaction score
I delete all the source files, but keep the file I uploaded on my hard drive. I started to have trouble running out of space on my old laptop and moved them to a flash drive. And then the contents on the flash drive disappeared! ;_; I guess I probably won't need them, but I was really disappointed. Now I got a better laptop with more space, so I probably won't have this problem again any time soon. But if I do, I think instead of moving them off the computer I'll just put them in zip folders by "spring 2015 videos", "winter 2014 videos" sonething like that.