Do you delete your videos from HARD DRIVE after uploading?

XXLRay

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I never ever delete my original footage. Disc space is so cheap that I can afford a new disc once in a while. What I can't afford is loosing videos.

Juzey

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I delete everything except the finished video. Although even with that my dad's starting to get annoyed with me for how long backups are taking.

Reactions: Jawad Soomro

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Every once in a while I do a cleanup, even though I usually keep my clips in an external storage, so I can fill a lot more space before the need to delete stuff

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I move everything to my external drives, and next year, I'll be getting a server (as well as a better dedicated computer for editing) so I can assure myself that I have everything. I don't keep raw footage, just the converted mp4s, as that's what I work with when editing, as well as the edited video and the Premiere files.

Olivea-Sea

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm keeping the render video that I upload to Youtube but the raw video files all go to the bin because my harddrive could not keep up with all the big files and now that is even worse because I've started filming in 4K what gives you even bigger files to store.

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Like the captain, I delete as soon as it is uploaded and processed and it plays fine. I only make my videos for YouTube. If YouTube becomes something I can't use, then the videos are useless to me.

XXLRay

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
If YouTube becomes something I can't use, then the videos are useless to me.
Note that videos can get accidentally deleted even on YouTube. We usually have one report like that per day in the help forums.

JesusGreen

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Grab a couple external HDDs and move the videos over there after you're done uploading them. No sense cluttering your faster internal drives with all that content - but it *is* worth having it backed up just in case something were to go wrong. That said it's not the end of the world if you don't either, and as others have mentioned you can download the videos from your channel. The main issue would be if something were to happen to YouTube before you did this, and so having a backup for worst case scenarios is always good, especially if the videos are important to you.