Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

MotionComedy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
Hey everyone,

Today I want to clear up a common misconception about "giveaways". This is where a content creator will go out of his way to get products/items to giveaway on his YouTube channel. These could be physical or virtual.

But my question is, do they really help a channel grow?

Let's say a channel with 250 subscribers does a Keyboard and Mouse giveaway, and he advertises it on Twitter, it may not reach a large amount of people, resulting in low entries and a waste of money.

However, if that channel was to do a smaller giveaway, and partner with a company that will advertise your giveaway to their followers, then this may help more. I do this with my giveaways. I review products on my channel, and then give them away afterwards, and the company usually advertises the giveaway, meaning I get a lot of entrants.

How do you feel about giveaways? Are they a cheap way of growing, or are they effective?

Reactions: BlockyLive

Commander Skull

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Reviewer, Cartoonist, Animator
It is very dependent on the channel and the game and etc. It may help your channel grow and maybe attract some new viewers but at the same time it is a double edged sword. You may end up doing a giveaway and getting a few more likes and people who have subscribed to the channel JUST FOR THE GIVEAWAY then those people just run away once its over. Or you may end up getting quite a few subscribers and returning viewers... well depends.

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
If you ask me, no. People only subscribe/comment/whatever for the price only and they they forget about you, it's a sad reality.

MotionComedy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
If you ask me, no. People only subscribe/comment/whatever for the price only and they they forget about you, it's a sad reality.
Could be very true! It is sad all the giveaway hunters there are these days![DOUBLEPOST=1469271727,1469271677][/DOUBLEPOST]
It is very dependent on the channel and the game and etc. It may help your channel grow and maybe attract some new viewers but at the same time it is a double edged sword. You may end up doing a giveaway and getting a few more likes and people who have subscribed to the channel JUST FOR THE GIVEAWAY then those people just run away once its over. Or you may end up getting quite a few subscribers and returning viewers... well depends.
True! Maybe it could work for one person and not for another!

Belak

Reaction score
I have only done one giveaway in my channels lifetime and in subscriber count usually it does help you grow but in reacurring visiters and common watchers it does not normally help

MotionComedy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
I have only done one giveaway in my channels lifetime and in subscriber count usually it does help you grow but in reacurring visiters and common watchers it does not normally help
Yeah! I think that people just come for the giveaway!

Winger94

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Honestly I would avoid doing giveaways because they can bring only an occasional benefit. It's something similar to the shotout contests because, even if you have all the good intentions, a lot of people will only take advantage of the giveaway and then they'll leave. Of course there can be people who will stick because they like you, but in the end I would prefer growing without something like that.

BrokenGames

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think it's a way to grow, yes. It's a way to grow your number of inactive subscribers. People will only do what's required for the giveaway, nothing else. Only a small percentage of the people who come to your giveaway videos will actually stick around your channel after your giveaway has ended.

MotionComedy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
Honestly I would avoid doing giveaways because they can bring only an occasional benefit. It's something similar to the shotout contests because, even if you have all the good intentions, a lot of people will only take advantage of the giveaway and then they'll leave. Of course there can be people who will stick because they like you, but in the end I would prefer growing without something like that.
Yeah! Maybe giveaways are only a short-term growth![DOUBLEPOST=1469360191,1469360174][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think it's a way to grow, yes. It's a way to grow your number of inactive subscribers. People will only do what's required for the giveaway, nothing else. Only a small percentage of the people who come to your giveaway videos will actually stick around your channel after your giveaway has ended.
I think that giveaways can lead to many inactive subs too!

Reactions: BrokenGames

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah! Maybe giveaways are only a short-term growth!
I would not discount short term growth. A large growth spurt in subs/views would likely trigger the "hmmm, I wonder what's going on with this channel" subroutine in the algorithm. If the retention and session view stats are good and growing several times over normal, as a result of the sudden growth spurt, that would be a very good thing, algorithmically speaking.