Do any of you NOT like sharing your videos?

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
As I have looked into my analytics, I've noticed that YouTube internal sources (such as YouTube search, playlists, and channel) tend to result in greater audience retention for me than external sources (e.g. links to outside sites like Reddit, twitter, etc).

So, maybe it is a little silly, but I have become a little less interested in sharing all of my videos widely, because I feel that maintaining audience retention is more worthwhile then getting a short term boost in traffic. I am getting good amounts of viewership from internal sources, so I'm not really worried about losing opportunities for growth.

This is probably really silly, but have any of you felt this way (or do you now feel this way)?

bootyguru

Reaction score
Me right here. Perhaps when I get a larger following I'll promote my videos on social media, but for now I'd rather not share them on places where most of the people would be my uninterested immediate family...It just hasn't worked out for me before and like you said, I get a lot more traffic from internal sources.

Sabrina

I'm going outside now.
Reaction score
This is probably really silly, but have any of you felt this way (or do you now feel this way)?
You're definitely not alone. Quite a few forum members who run successful channels swear by the method of "no promotion" and relying on high retention views from within YouTube, which seems to be the key to ranking high in search/suggested.

I am getting good amounts of viewership from internal sources, so I'm not really worried about losing opportunities for growth.
That's awesome :thumbsup2: It means you can basically stop wasting time on promotion and focus on making good content.

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
Yeah. I don't really do that anymore either.
Just on twitter and facebook so my followers can see that I have uploaded a new video.

I basically do Google AdWords now for my channel trailer/ad, and that gives me 10-15 subs daily on average.
And those new subs go and watch my older videos, bringing up the view counter.

Maxemole

Resident Potato
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I do so on my Twitter and Instagram as those are my ways of communicating with viewers (not that I really have any right now), but also that so when people stumble upon those things they see that I am consistent and that they know there is another way to know when I release content aside from Youtube.

NinjaNultrix

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator
See, weird thing with me is that when I promote my videos, I get less views than I would without promoting (???)
So I really don't know haha

PinProject

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You need to find the correct social media groups to share your videos. Obviously sharing with your friends and family are not the right target which is why I dont promote from my personal account. I usually promote in social media groups/pages that are relevant to my content and I do end up getting lots of views from them.

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I can definitely find some groups that are good fits for the content, and that result in large amounts of views. I can usually get quite a few reddit upvotes in certain subreddits, for example.

But I have just found that even if there are a lot of viewers, they aren't watching as much of the video as someone who found it through youtube search.

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I used to share on Reddit (would get downvoted a lot), Facebook, Pinterest, and StumbleUpon. Now I just join Google+ communities that have at least 1,000 - 2,000 members (depending on popularity) and are related to the content of the video I'm promoting. I get a fair amount of +1s and comments from there, plus it is integrated with YouTube and the comments.

Kaleido

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm teeeeerrible at self-promotion. I basically never do it anymore outside of a few niche communities that know me and the content I make.