December revenue trending down

AaronL

Reaction score
Have you been seeing your YT revenue trending downward for all of December? Is that just me?

I'm getting more subs, more views, but the overall revenue is dropping. Is it because of what's going on with cen sor ship or something else?

Attachments

Vedstedsen

Globus Travellus
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Do you mean your revenue is going down in January compared to December?
It is normal to get much less revenue in January, as advertisers don't buy as many add spots. As people spend there budget during December and usually skips on January.

AaronL

Reaction score
Great, thanks for the insights. My RPM/CPM dropped right at the end of the year, too.
I didn't know this was a normal event, that January revenue drops.
Attached is the RPM graph for the last 90 days. It's interesting to see the spikes at the end/beginning of each month. I assume that's "normal", too?

Attachments

Vedstedsen

Globus Travellus
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yes. Basically the adds works in a bidding system. Companies bid on the adds, so the total revenue changes dynamically with the bidding trends going on with adds in your niche.
A lot of companies wants to sell movies and video games for christmas, so they release slighty before for ''hype'', and go all in or add space (on YouTube) and other places during this time. As they know people are more likely to click adds during December, as people are willing to spend a lot of money on products for christmas presents.

My niche is in travel. Most of my viewers are European. Travel products are mostly bought trough out winter and springs, and ''consumed'' during summer vacation periods. So I would assume my revenue analytics (when I reach 1000k subs) would look significantly different to those of a gamer youtuber.

If Northern Europe, UK and Germany have awful weather Summer 2022, they are more likely going to spend more on vacation Summer 2023, changing the value of each add.

It's very complex and none of us will likely ever understand all of it. It's easier just to accept the nature of the beast (inconsistent) and control what can be controlled (producing content).