Covering Songs

Paige394

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
From what I've researched it seems that covering songs on YouTube really varies depending on the copyright holders. I would be using the audio from songs with the vocals taken out and I would sing the vocals, or for some songs I would play an instrument and sing the vocals. I just wanted to double check on the copyright status of covering songs with anyone that would know here. Thanks!

Lrulesok

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think covers are fine but not all of the original artist will let you make money from your cover.

Celsus

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think covers are fine but not all of the original artist will let you make money from your cover.
If you're using audio from the song and it has a copyright on it, you'll get flagged, it's best to shoot a email to the record label and ask for permission to use just that for a cover.
If they agree to it and you get a strike from youtube, you just have to email them a copy of that letter and you can use it. Or you could do the indirect route and do it anyways, if
you get a strike notice from youtube just delete it and you don't have to worry about it.

Sorry about that, didn't mean to quote you Lrulesok, did it without thinking =P just edited this XD

Lrulesok

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you're using audio from the song and it has a copyright on it, you'll get flagged, it's best to shoot a email to the record label and ask for permission to use just that for a cover.
If they agree to it and you get a strike from youtube, you just have to email them a copy of that letter and you can use it. Or you could do the indirect route and do it anyways, if
you get a strike notice from youtube just delete it and you don't have to worry about it.

Sorry about that, didn't mean to quote you Lrulesok, did it without thinking =P just edited this XD
Fair enough