Copyright Info You Need To Know ... after 20+ years in the biz.

JayManOurMusicBox

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
So as per the title, I've been in the music business for over 20 years.
Both in the traditional music business and digital online world as well.
I am stating these credentials as I see from the sticky above that we should avoid giving advice about copyright if we aren't well verse with it. Copyright seems like such a messy thing as it implies legalities but honestly it's really quite simple. It's meant to protect me (composer) and you (yes your videos).

The first thing you need to know is that there is NO such thing as copyright free music.
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ01.pdf
See: Copyright Secured Automatically upon Creation

So as like in all thing, there is a creator (yes I believe in God).:)
And therefore the composer, producer or the person that acquires the music's copyright legally, is the copyright holder. To use the music legally and safely, you must get permission from the owners or acquire a license (to listen or to use - which are both different). Once you have done that, you basically don't have to worry about copyright because you are staying within the umbrella of the copyright holder.

If you are using music that claims to be 'non copyrighted', I would be a little worried there. If no one claims the music, then anyone can walk right into the copyright office and do an official claim to the song and the music would change status thereafter unless someone comes up with proof to reclaim copyright as the original producers of the track.

So what kind of music should you be looking for when it comes to YouTube?
Just use music you have permission to use from the copyright owners or music you have a legal license (either paid or free).

With that said, if you ever get a copyright dispute or strike, you can always go back to the copyright holder and seek assistance. In my case, a few dozen tracks I composed were claimed and under dispute. YouTubers using my music contacted me about it. I then contacted YouTube and the claimant 'Orchard Music' and worked together to remove the claims (will post more about that later).

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
This is the reason that I don't use other's music, I use YOUTUBE FREE AUDIO LIBRARY, it helps me a lot.
Offcourse using anyone's music without their permission is a total piracy and owner can hold the rights to take down any video.

JayManOurMusicBox

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
You can do some research and see that it's possible that the status of a track may change if a composer withdraws the music. Just thought you should know that is possible even with YouTube library.