Copyright as a creator

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
@MrMizo

Copyright actually exists at the moment of creation for original digital media. A word of caution, however; you can only consider your videos to be under your sole copyright if you personally create every single element of same.

Gameplay videos wouldn't be under your copyright, as you do not own the copyright to the game itself.

Any video with royalty-free elements would not be under your sole copyright, as the RF element copyrights remain with the original RF provider or the author of same.

Music videos where you yourself are not the composer and performer would not be under your copyright, etc.

This list is not exhaustive.

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I as a gaming channel, do copy strike channels that upload my content. YouTube does the work for me in the Copyright tab in Studio Beta. They pretty much tell me what percentage of my video was used and uploaded. Usually people upload 100% = reuploading my content.

I comment on their videos asking nicely to delete my videos and telling them I don't really want to give them a strike. After that, you just need to wait and see how they react!
Here's an example of a channel doing this that YouTube notified me about: youtube.com/channel/UCW_HDF181O9Yea2d1rIVeIA/

Hope it helps!

Reactions: waren66

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have had my content copied 1000s of times. There is not enough time in the day for me to chase copyrighters so I now choose to ignore it.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I as a gaming channel, do copy strike channels that upload my content. YouTube does the work for me in the Copyright tab in Studio Beta. They pretty much tell me what percentage of my video was used and uploaded. Usually people upload 100% = reuploading my content.

I comment on their videos asking nicely to delete my videos and telling them I don't really want to give them a strike. After that, you just need to wait and see how they react!
Here's an example of a channel doing this that YouTube notified me about: youtube.com/channel/UCW_HDF181O9Yea2d1rIVeIA/

Hope it helps!
Be careful; you could get your channel killed for filing a falsified legal form, if there is content belonging to the game dev in your video, and you claim ownership of same. There was a gent with the moniker "sd007" last year; he got killed on a counter-notification, and the thread here went on for at least 9 full pages if I remember correctly. Last we heard was in early January; and he was still sure at that point he would get his channel reinstated...never heard a single word after that last post he made...

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Be careful; you could get your channel killed for filing a falsified legal form, if there is content belonging to the game dev in your video, and you claim ownership of same. There was a gent with the moniker "sd007" last year; he got killed on a counter-notification, and the thread here went on for at least 9 full pages if I remember correctly. Last we heard was in early January; and he was still sure at that point he would get his channel reinstated...never heard a single word after that last post he made...
That would be ironic since YouTube themselves enabled the copyright tool in my channel, they assisted me once via email before becoming partner, they worked pretty fast the last time I used their tool without any problem or further questioning and my first removal was reviewed by them to ensure it is valid and includes all required elements. In the end, it was accepted by them and they took the video down.

This tool wasn't enabled in my channel before, if they decided to activate it then I believe in their judgement the same way they enabled: monetisation, memberships and merchandise. If they are giving me the tools and telling me to use them... I don't think that will be considered a "falsified" legal form specially if that person is reuploading the same content 100% (including my commentary) which it is something they are working really hard to stop.

This tool is called Copyright Match Tool and it is different from Content ID

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
@GameVestment

I just hope you are right. I've seen more people claim to own the actual gameplay (which is actually a derivative work in the context of the video) and then get terminated by YouTube, than I care to think about. The nastiest one was when someone claimed to own the rights to Clash Royale gameplay on a Counter-Notification in the face of SUPERCELL's EULA saying that they claim ownership of all user content created after their games, desperately searching for a way to stop the announced termination before it could happen. The claimant in this case was SUPERCELL.

I'm aware that the copyright match tool isn't the same as Content ID; I just think that fact makes it that much more abusable and dangerous.

This is why though I have it myself, I haven't bothered to use it. Most of the matches are for the stock footage I use, so the matches are non-exclusive content which couldn't be claimed in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: GameVestment

vitofaber

I've Got It
Reaction score
if you dont give those channels a strike, maybe yt will reset all channel with reuse contents rule