Copyright and Monetization

Chrisicut

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Hey,

Once I get my microphone, I am going to start posting YouTube gaming videos, but I have a few concerns.

What is the best way to prevent getting copyright strikes? (besides the obvious, "don't post copyright content") Because I DON'T KNOW what is/isn't copyright. I know that the developer site of the video game states whether you can, or can't post their content on YouTube, but YouTube's automated systems don't really care. For example, The Sims 3 (EA) encourages people to display their content on YouTube, but people are still receiving copyright strikes from posting videos on The Sims 3. :[

If I don't monetize certain videos, are those videos protected from copyright strikes? If not completely, what benefits do they manage that monetized videos don't?

My MAIN concern with copyright strikes is networks. As we all know, networks don't accept you if you have copyright strikes on your account, and I really want a partnership in the future. Once you are partnered with a network, are you protected from receiving strikes? Can you manage to remove strikes without help the of a network, like if you're a new YouTuber and receive a strike?

Thanks!

Epic12

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey,

Once I get my microphone, I am going to start posting YouTube gaming videos, but I have a few concerns.

What is the best way to prevent getting copyright strikes? (besides the obvious, "don't post copyright content") Because I DON'T KNOW what is/isn't copyright. I know that the developer site of the video game states whether you can, or can't post their content on YouTube, but YouTube's automated systems don't really care. For example, The Sims 3 (EA) encourages people to display their content on YouTube, but people are still receiving copyright strikes from posting videos on The Sims 3. :[

If I don't monetize certain videos, are those videos protected from copyright strikes? If not completely, what benefits do they manage that monetized videos don't?

My MAIN concern with copyright strikes is networks. As we all know, networks don't accept you if you have copyright strikes on your account, and I really want a partnership in the future. Once you are partnered with a network, are you protected from receiving strikes? Can you manage to remove strikes without help the of a network, like if you're a new YouTuber and receive a strike?

Thanks!
My advice is to not include music in your videos unless it's royalty free.

I haven't got any yet and I do games, I think The Sims 3 may have copyrighted music in so that's why?

Clam-

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You are not protected from strikes when you are partnered with a network. In fact, when you are partnered and you get a strike, it doesn't only hurt your channel, but network as a whole as well. But if I'm not mistaken, strikes expire in 6 months (if you don't get another one), so if something goes horribly wrong with one of your videos now, you should be able to still partner with some network half a year later.

Chrisicut

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
You are not protected from strikes when you are partnered with a network. In fact, when you are partnered and you get a strike, it doesn't only hurt your channel, but network as a whole as well. But if I'm not mistaken, strikes expire in 6 months (if you don't get another one), so if something goes horribly wrong with one of your videos now, you should be able to still partner with some network half a year later.
Oh thank god. Because I got the perfect channel name and I don't want to have to make a new channel just because I got a strike.

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
My advice is to not include music in your videos unless it's royalty free.
Royalty Free doesn't mean free. It means you don't pay royalties which is a periodic payment based on the number of views or uses of the material. Generally with Royalty Free, you pay a single fee to use the piece whenever and wherever you want.

What you mean is Creative Commons Attribution 3.0.

Epic12

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Royalty Free doesn't mean free. It means you don't pay royalties which is a periodic payment based on the number of views or uses of the material. Generally with Royalty Free, you pay a single fee to use the piece whenever and wherever you want.

What you mean is Creative Commons Attribution 3.0.
Yeah sorry, what you said. :)

Chrisicut

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
I still need the question answered;

"If I don't monetize certain videos, are those videos protected from copyright strikes? If not completely, what benefits do they manage that monetized videos don't?"

Thanks! :D

phoenixblue

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian, Gamer, Commentator, Designer, Cartoonist, Animator
I still need the question answered;

"If I don't monetize certain videos, are those videos protected from copyright strikes? If not completely, what benefits do they manage that monetized videos don't?"

Thanks! :D
No, even if your video is not monetized, someone can still file a copyright complaint against it if it contains their content and get it removed (which I believe gives you a copyright strike). If you acknowledge a third party claim, you probably won't get a copyright strike.

The only benefit of unmonetized videos is that viewers won't have to watch ads.

Chrisicut

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
No, even if your video is not monetized, someone can still file a copyright complaint against it if it contains their content and get it removed (which I believe gives you a copyright strike). If you acknowledge a third party claim, you probably won't get a copyright strike.

The only benefit of unmonetized videos is that viewers won't have to watch ads.
Ah, ok. Thanks :]