Content-ID Claims and how to deal with them.

FleaIsStupid

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
So I started noticing a lot of the people I follow on Twitter last night- even large people like NerdCubed- start getting Content-ID Claims in some of the most ridiculous way. Claims from websites that made no sense, claims that we're just ridiculous from places that have already stated Youtube content of their games was fine. Ubisoft, Blizzard, you name it. This morning & today it's fizzled down to a plethora of content claims on random content. I was poking around YTTalk only to see that a few different genre's of channels are dealing with this crazy stuff. Decided to type a little something up for everyone.

Apparently- and this is after just a little research- Google did something to the Content-ID claims that really messed some of us up. A lot of it seems to be purely automated. Luckily I don't have anything on my new channel as of yet, so I am not dealing with the mess some others are. Stuff like this is really making me rethink whether or not I want to start gaming on YT again. But all I can do is help others out until everything is settled and I can make a proper choice.

Be noted that there is two stages of Content-ID claiming. I need to put this in bold. If your content was claimed, stay calm. Make sure the claiming party is the actual copyright holder, (I've seen some crazy stuff today) and feel free to dispute it. At this stage, you will not get a copyright strike against your account if you dispute it. Even if the outcome is negative towards your content, the worst that'll happen is you will not be able to monetize that video- instead the revenue will go to the people who claimed the video.

At this point, if it wasn't in your favor, you will get another chance to appeal. This claim goes to- get this- a real person! But this one is a bit more risky. You WILL get a copyright strike if the material is deemed as not yours. I suggest not doing this if you aren't really sure about the content. On the other hand, if you are sure you have fair-use of the content, and you have a strong case, go for it. I've personally never gone this far into the procedure, but if you have a legitimate case, it should go in your favor.

On an end note, I wish everyone luck, and I have my fingers crossed that in the New Year, we get some peace of mind when we upload.

(PS: I got some of the information from a lovely redditor (JonPaula) on the lets play subreddit and wished to share it with YTTalk. )

FleaIsStupid

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
Just to make this clear...

The Content ID system can not and has never been able to issue strikes..

:)
That would be insane. I hear of people getting 50+ disputes at the moment. Couldn't imagine if those all immediately went to strikes.

ExtroseGamerAE

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I probably would have a lot of claims, but I haven't monetized any of my content. I hoping this gets fixed and won't permanently be like this.

Reactions: FleaIsStupid

wajinshu

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
afaik the disputes can turn on Copyright Strikes 'cause I talked to others about the claims too about a particular game publisher. Some have success on disputing or reinstated and some of them turned into Copyright strikes. When I tried to dispute they just reinstated it and I gave up XD

Gabriel

YouTube Addict
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Make sure the claiming party is the actual copyright holder, (I've seen some crazy stuff today) and feel free to dispute it. At this stage, you will not get a copyright strike against your account if you dispute it. Even if the outcome is negative towards your content, the worst that'll happen is you will not be able to monetize that video- instead the revenue will go to the people who claimed the video.
This is bad advice, invalid disputing can result in termination of your YouTube account and disputing can result in a copyright strike if the copyright holder wants to do that.

FleaIsStupid

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
This is bad advice, invalid disputing can result in termination of your YouTube account and disputing can result in a copyright strike if the copyright holder wants to do that.

I'm just stating what I've dealt with, heard and what other people have told me. I was told & experienced that the first dispute cannot get you a strike due to the fact it is still the Content-ID system you're dealing with. If you appeal that second choice, that's when I was told strikes come into play. I'm also not talking about a video being taken down completely due to copyright (say if someone uploaded a movie in full), I'm talking about things like when Nintendo claimed every video that showed Nintendo Game Play, and took the Ad Revenue instead of taking everything down. Automated Claiming is different than complete, outright copyright infringement.

Gabriel

YouTube Addict
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm just stating what I've dealt with, heard and what other people have told me. I was told & experienced that the first dispute cannot get you a strike due to the fact it is still the Content-ID system you're dealing with. If you appeal that second choice, that's when I was told strikes come into play. I'm also not talking about a video being taken down completely due to copyright (say if someone uploaded a movie in full), I'm talking about things like when Nintendo claimed every video that showed Nintendo Game Play, and took the Ad Revenue instead of taking everything down. Automated Claiming is different than complete, outright copyright infringement.
When you dispute, it has nothing to do with YouTube and it's between you and the claimant at that point.. so if you see the picture above, when you dispute the claimant can take down your video and issue a copyright strike, reinstate and continue to monetize or release the claim.

If you appeal that second choice, that's when I was told strikes come into play.
Yes, if you are enabled for Content ID appeals then you can appeal a reinstated claim and the process for that is either the claimant takes down your video and issues a copyright strike or releases the claim.

wajinshu

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Just as Gabriel said it is the same when I talked to someone in twitter.. they really get copyright strike if you're not careful when disputing :(