Content Creation From Other Websites/Articles

chaits

Reaction score
Hi All,

There is this question that has been troubling every now and then.

Can you create voiceover content using articles from other websites/blogs etc? Images may or may not be from the same website.

For example - You take the article content/text and put it into a text-to-speech software or record your own voice, add relevant images, and create your video.
  • Can this be monetized?
  • Will this go against copyright?
  • How will anybody be able to detect this?
Haven't got an answer to this question from anywhere.
Hope some expert around here can help with some answer.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the copyright / claims / strikes / legal forum. :)

Hi All,

There is this question that has been troubling every now and then.

Can you create voiceover content using articles from other websites/blogs etc? Images may or may not be from the same website.

For example - You take the article content/text and put it into a text-to-speech software or record your own voice, add relevant images, and create your video.
  • Can this be monetized?
  • Will this go against copyright?
  • How will anybody be able to detect this?
Haven't got an answer to this question from anywhere.
Hope some expert around here can help with some answer.

That would be copyright infringement. Changing the medium or format (text to voice) doesn't suddenly make something original content. Open up a book and read the copyright notice. It will be something like "Content may not be reproduced in any form ......"

Aside from the copyright issue, text-to-speech is terrible and Youtube considers it to be automated content and not monetizable.

It's really simple - Do your own research and create YOUR original content with a real human voice. :)

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Something you could do is read a few articles on the topic (2 or 3) and write your own video script based on those sources. This is transformative. You can even include them in your credits as articles you reference while writing the script. This is basically how all current events youtube channels work, unless if they are on the ground interviewing people themselves.

That's my 2 cents. Hope that helps.

chaits

Reaction score
Moved to the copyright / claims / strikes / legal forum. :)

That would be copyright infringement. Changing the medium or format (text to voice) doesn't suddenly make something original content. Open up a book and read the copyright notice. It will be something like "Content may not be reproduced in any form ......"

Aside from the copyright issue, text-to-speech is terrible and Youtube considers it to be automated content and not monetizable.

It's really simple - Do your own research and create YOUR original content with a real human voice. :)
I am not saying it would be word-to-word exactly the same thing, the article can be rewritten entirely anew. Make it original, even original content is at some point inspired or influenced by something. There are really great text-to-speech tools which actually sound real.

I can't even understand WHY you would want to do this?
For one it's tough to come up with new ideas every time, the inspiration is easily available and can be repurposed. Maybe I can turn out to be better than the article itself.

Something you could do is read a few articles on the topic (2 or 3) and write your own video script based on those sources. This is transformative. You can even include them in your credits as articles you reference while writing the script. This is basically how all current events youtube channels work, unless if they are on the ground interviewing people themselves.

That's my 2 cents. Hope that helps.
Yes, this is what I am talking about, transform one or more pieces of content into another kind of piece of content.

I am just brainstorming here things that I am thinking while creating content for my channel. While copyright guidelines are very clear, there also exist the Fair usage policies, plus how does one even detect the source of a video script if it's entirely rewritten?

LandyVlad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
An entirely rewritten script is not what you originally asked about though. You were talking about just revoicing someone elses material which would absolutely be a breech of copyright.

While copyright guidelines are very clear, there also exist the Fair usage policies,
In fact aside from cases such as that originally described, copyright law is FAR from clear ESPECIALLY when it comes to "fair use".

Legally, the most successful arguments in court for fair use have been in regard to use of a piece in a parody of the material.

On the other hand there have been numerous cases where defendants claimed fair use and the courts found that their use was actually NOT covered by those provisions.

It's complicated for lawyers - so the average schmuck like you and I have no hope, really.

Just talke into account what people here say but recognise that it is in no way legal advice. Make your own decisions from that and be prepared to have videos removed etc if its found that you have breeched copyright provisions.

Hope that helps a bit ?

chaits

Reaction score
An entirely rewritten script is not what you originally asked about though. You were talking about just revoicing someone elses material which would absolutely be a breech of copyright.

In fact aside from cases such as that originally described, copyright law is FAR from clear ESPECIALLY when it comes to "fair use".

Legally, the most successful arguments in court for fair use have been in regard to use of a piece in a parody of the material.

On the other hand there have been numerous cases where defendants claimed fair use and the courts found that their use was actually NOT covered by those provisions.

It's complicated for lawyers - so the average schmuck like you and I have no hope, really.

Just talke into account what people here say but recognise that it is in no way legal advice. Make your own decisions from that and be prepared to have videos removed etc if its found that you have breeched copyright provisions.

Hope that helps a bit ?
Sorry for not being clear - well copy-paste material will certainly get a copyright strike, though if it is modified/rewritten into a script and then converted to a voiceover. It would be pretty unique and will not be against any YouTube policies. Correct me if I am wrong?

Fair use - yes that helps a lot

I am going to use what I am learning here and apply it to create content from at least an experiment perspective maybe it works, maybe not. But we will get some answers.

LandyVlad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Sorry for not being clear - well copy-paste material will certainly get a copyright strike, though if it is modified/rewritten into a script and then converted to a voiceover. It would be pretty unique and will not be against any YouTube policies. Correct me if I am wrong?
It's sometimes hard to know what is expressly against YouTube policies.
In my opinion - It would depend on the extent to which you used the original material, and whether the owner of that material lodges a complaint with YT.

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Just wondering, is there a reason you prefer text to speech over voicing it yourself?
On Youtube people tend to connect more to a person over faceless company. Not saying you have to show your face but including human voice will humanize the channel, at least I think so.

chaits

Reaction score
It's sometimes hard to know what is expressly against YouTube policies.
In my opinion - It would depend on the extent to which you used the original material, and whether the owner of that material lodges a complaint with YT.
well yes, can't say what can go suddenly against YT's policies

Just wondering, is there a reason you prefer text to speech over voicing it yourself?
On Youtube people tend to connect more to a person over faceless company. Not saying you have to show your face but including human voice will humanize the channel, at least I think so.
just not comfortable with showing my face and my voice isn't that great for voice-overs. the text to speech I use is pretty good and does not sound robotic.