Confused with Google Keyword Planner and Tubebuddy results

Phiul

I've Got It
Reaction score
Hello,

I was trying to test some keywords to see how competitive they are in each one.

Where I searched for example for "orange is the new black" and it has low competition in Google Keyword Planner ( wtf?) and very high in Tubebuddy. How can this be so misleading? In this specific case, I'm sure Tubebuddy is correct. But I'm confused, this is tricky.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Superpants

Phiul

I've Got It
Reaction score
Does someone know why this happens? Which one should I go for? Tubebuddy?

Many thanks.

Reactions: Superpants

cbpayne

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Hello,

I was trying to test some keywords to see how competitive they are in each one.

Where I searched for example for "orange is the new black" and it has low competition in Google Keyword Planner ( wtf?) and very high in Tubebuddy. How can this be so misleading? In this specific case, I'm sure Tubebuddy is correct. But I'm confused, this is tricky.
Thanks.
Google's keyword planner is looking as competition for the bids for Adwords on the keyword that you are searching.

Phiul

I've Got It
Reaction score
...you will get flooded by Netflix ads....

:p :D

You might want to eliminate your search in no popular or already used keyphrases :)
Google's keyword planner is looking as competition for the bids for Adwords on the keyword that you are searching.
Thank you for the answers.
So maybe it's better to stay with Tubebuddy? Because I'm a small channel, I don't have ads or anything like that.

Reactions: videoeditgr

cbpayne

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Thank you for the answers.
So maybe it's better to stay with Tubebuddy? Because I'm a small channel, I don't have ads or anything like that.
If you have access to both, then use both, but just be aware what they are measuring.

Of course "orange is the new black" is going to have low competition for Google Adwords as no one is probably bidding on that keyword phrase.
Tubebuddy measure the competition for the phrase in YouTube

I use htt ps:/ /keywordtool. io/ (sorry, can't post links)
For that phrase in Google it shows its competition as "0.01 (Low)" and search volume as 2,240,000
For that phrase in YouTube it shows its competition as "0.01 (Low)" and search volume as 7,370,000

Phiul

I've Got It
Reaction score
If you have access to both, then use both, but just be aware what they are measuring.

Of course "orange is the new black" is going to have low competition for Google Adwords as no one is probably bidding on that keyword phrase.
Tubebuddy measure the competition for the phrase in YouTube

I use htt ps:/ /keywordtool. io/ (sorry, can't post links)
For that phrase in Google it shows its competition as "0.01 (Low)" and search volume as 2,240,000
For that phrase in YouTube it shows its competition as "0.01 (Low)" and search volume as 7,370,000
Thanks once again.

But that's why is confusing me. why does it have low competition? The search volume is high.
I want to target for high search phrases with the lowest competiton, so I can have a chance to be ranked

Edit: Do you recommend to buy that keywordtool.io? Is it good?

cbpayne

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Edit: Do you recommend to buy that keywordtool.io? Is it good?
It is good as you get keywords comp and numbers for Google, YouTube, eBay and Amazon etc
Suggestions of different version of keyword(s) is also good
I market across those platforms, so its worth it for me.

BUT, its not cheap ...

Reactions: Phiul

Phiul

I've Got It
Reaction score
Yeah I see it's not that cheap. To grow a Youtube channel, should I also aim for Google?