commentary channels and defamation of character.

IVY

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have a commentary channel and I don't want to get sued for defamation of character. what can I do to prevent that from happening.

DigiBox

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Be honest and source your information.

If you make an accusation on someone saying they are a scammer for example you can be called out for defamation, however if you have a source for your info and explain how you know this you will be safe.

In addition if you use the word 'allegedly' you can bring it up as a discussion piece discussing news. You have to do something pretty bad to be called out for Defamation.

Reactions: IVY

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Another concern you should keep in mind is, any footage you use may be a violation of copyright and could get you flagged even quicker than any defamation.

AceOfBats

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I guess it depends on what you commentate on. Magic words are "In My Opinion," also "I Don't Agree." Things like that. Make it clear it's just your opinion and in no way fact. Like if you're watching a Basketball game and you say "I don't agree with LeBron's play here, in my opinion the wiser decision would have been a cross over into a fade-away jumper." I think certain footage you can get away with under the copyright law if you're commentating or doing a parody. Don't quote me though, I haven't researched that part of things.