Coming up with new ideas for videos?

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
How do you go about coming up with new ideas for your videos? Do you get inspired from other videos or TV? Is there anything specific you do or do they just come to you? I am making this thread so we can share how we come up with them and hopefully help others to come up with theirs :)

For me I will think about what I could do and then write down everything I will need to talk about once I have the idea, highlighting the main things and I think about things I could have missed and write those down too. I also think about alternative approaches and ideas so hopefully it isnt just run of the mill.

How about you?

George Raymond

Now a major part of Ayre...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Just watching other peoples videos on YouTube, especially Smosh enspires me...

Reactions: Michael

Korifaeus

Banned
Reaction score
The world around me, walking through NY, store windows, history, inspires thoughts. I laugh myself silly, mostly seeing the humor in everything, because little makes sense.
I don't watch TV, don't listen to music, ( rarely) watch other people's videos only when curious as to whom or what these people are about, but other's creations don't inspire me, rather make me chuckle, or, or, etc. I'm not an IPT ( Intellectual Property Thief), or copy cat, looking at other people's creation to use their ideas, or copy it.
Music comes to me through a feeling, an emotion, i then go to the piano, guitar, or whatever, trying to find the " chord" i feel.
What's important to me is that it has to make me " feel" me, entertain "me", make "me" laugh. I create to entertain "myself", and if it entertains others, makes them chuckle, ponder, etc. terrific, but it's not really important; what matters is that " i " enjoy the " journey" :)

Code

Rap Artist
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I inspire myself.No matter how strange it sounds but i listen to my song(lets take "No Sympathy" as an exaple),i hear the dark melody,the aggresiveness and i already know that the video must be dark.I know the melody is fast so it means i have to be dynamic,i think of some dark special effects....and then combine everything i thought of in one...and a new video is created.

:)

PixieBlossom

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Well my channel is pretty themed, so its easy, I just talk about what animated title Iv watched lately.
I guess Im a bad example XD

Symph

I'm a dude with a face and I know how to use it.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer
I have 3 ways they happen. The first is an idea just hits me. I'm sitting there watching something doing something, and something I see or hear sparks an idea, I think to myself "that could work!" And then I just start creating it in my mind, that's how "the baby sitter" was made, I was sitting there and for no reason I thought "how funny would it be if someone was doing baby talk, then slowly got angrier and angrier until they were screaming GOO GOO GA GA GOO!!!!" It just hit me and I filmed it almost right after having the idea. The other way is when I have a deadline and I have to be funny or musical by that day, that's the HARDEST. Then I can't wait for an idea to hit me, I have to come up with one, and these are usually not my best videos. I tend to watch my favorite youtubers for inspiration in those times and then try and emulate what I liked without ripping it off. I hate making ideas this way. The third and BEST way that I come up with ideas, is talking to other people. My conversations with people get so goofy and funny, and someone will say something and my brain just goes "there's a skit in that!" And often times me and the other person talk about the ideas and being able to bounce them off each other make them even funnier. Me and Screaming Midget came up with a brilliant idea last night that way.
--- merged: Apr 5, 2012 9:09 PM ---
Well I guess there is a 4th way too, but this isn't me coming up with ideas. That's the "turn on my camera and just turn the craziness up to 11" method. Those are videos like my last anime party video, I just press record and GO. hahaha

zebracloak

I make Movies like I make Friends.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Vlogger
I tend to get inspired by other youtubers, but one idea I have to stay original and interact with my subscribers is a new project I am working on. It is basically this: I am going to post a special video formally asking my subscribers to comment below with exactly three words. If I like it and am able, I will make a short film based on those three words. For example, someone comments with "Help My Potato" I could make a short film about a man giving a potato CPR. Please don't steal my idea before I have a chance to do it. I'm sure you guys won't, but still, sometimes YouTube is all about being original, and original ideas must be protected. ;)

Symph

I'm a dude with a face and I know how to use it.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer
I tend to get inspired by other youtubers, but one idea I have to stay original and interact with my subscribers is a new project I am working on. It is basically this: I am going to post a special video formally asking my subscribers to comment below with exactly three words. If I like it and am able, I will make a short film based on those three words. For example, someone comments with "Help My Potato" I could make a short film about a man giving a potato CPR. Please don't steal my idea before I have a chance to do it. I'm sure you guys won't, but still, sometimes YouTube is all about being original, and original ideas must be protected. ;)
*Symph takes notes* Yes.. yes... this is a great idea! Muhahahaha... I'll be rich I tell you! RICH!!!