Clear Videos Locally, Grainy/Blurry Videos on YouTube, Want to Fix That

KingDecimator

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I record Mario Kart Wii with the AVerMedia Live Gamer Portable on a Wii using Component input. I record at the resolution of 720x480 (highest resolution the Wii will go up to), at 30 FPS and at a bitrate of 60 mbps.

I then edit and render in Sony Vegas Pro 13 (I also upscale to 720p because 480p on YouTube looks like garbage for this game). I've tried all kinds of different rendering methods, and no matter what I use a lot of detail is lost on YouTube. In Sony Vegas I've tried MainConcept AVC/AAC CBR and VBR, x264 CRF and ABR, and XDCAM.

No matter what, the video on YouTube looks significantly worse.

Local file.
YouTube.

A significant amount of clarity and detail seems to be lost and I'm wondering if I can render/export in a way where not as much detail will be lost on YouTube. I've seen many people who have less grainy Mario Kart Wii videos, but I think they have a better computer than me. I only have an AMD A4-3400 APU @ 2.70 GHz with 2 cores and 6 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1333 MHz.

Anyways, here's my x264 settings. If there's anything not worth having or if something needs to be changed, I'd like to know. A lot of these parameters I got from friends and just screwing around with things (I don't know their actual practicality regarding YouTube or what they do really).

I heard interleaving every frame could be better, is that true?

And here's my MainConcept AVC/AAC settings.

I really want my videos to be clearer on YouTube, I don't care much about the local file... I care the most about how it will look on YouTube.

So yeah the main goal is being able to retain more detail on YouTube by any practical means (decent file size for upload, favorable render times, 1 encode only). Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Shehzad

The Brown Fudge
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I don't use that render setting any more it's not always YouTube friendly. Use Sony AVC/MVC (mp4 etc) using the internet HD 1080p format (obviously use the 720p one for yourself) Also make sure that resample is disabled by right clicking on your video clip, going to properties and checking disable resample.
render settings.png
render settings 2.png

GrgakGames

Phoenix Games Enthusiast (Please end my life)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Oh nevermind

KingDecimator

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Tried Sony AVC/AAC and not much of an improvement, if any. Here were the settings I used:

I'm really beginning to think my computer specs are the main culprit here.

Shehzad

The Brown Fudge
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Tried Sony AVC/AAC and not much of an improvement, if any. Here were the settings I used:
I'm really beginning to think my computer specs are the main culprit here.
It may be because you are upscalling from a very low resolution too since those pixels are going to be blurry after the render. I doubt it is your computer specs since the processing is able to finish without any crashes. Since 720x480 is still 480p just a bit clearer it is really hard to upscale to 720p and have the video look good. Upscalling is only really advantageous for example when you upscale from 1080p to 4k/2k the video is going to look a lot nicer when viewing it at 1080p on youtube. It also is alot easier for Vegas to make it look good because it has an adequate amount of pixels to work with. You don't necessarily view it on 4k or you'd need good internet to be able to stream that amount of quality and also since it's not true 4k you wouldn't be choosing that option as the viewer any ways. If that makes sense >< . However there is a product for the Wii called Wii to HDMI 1080p converter on the market if you want to play it at 1080p on the telly but you'd have to find a way to record your TV since I think Avermedia only accepts component cables and I don't think it works if you record from the converter. Either way just letting you know that it's out there, I just have never used it.

Last edited:
Reactions: coliwob

KingDecimator

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It may be because you are upscalling from a very low resolution too since those pixels are going to be blurry after the render. I doubt it is your computer specs since the processing is able to finish without any crashes. Maybe it would be best to invest into a capture device that can record at 720p or 1080p.
The Live Gamer Portable can record up to 1080p at 30 fps, but the Wii caps at a resolution of 720x480.

If what you say is true, how come my friend got better results using my raw file with the exact same settings?

More detail is clearly there on the road and overall it just looks like a much cleaner, crisper video. I really want this to be possible on YouTube for me.

Shehzad

The Brown Fudge
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The Live Gamer Portable can record up to 1080p at 30 fps, but the Wii caps at a resolution of 720x480.

If what you say is true, how come my friend got better results using my raw file with the exact same settings?

More detail is clearly there on the road and overall it just looks like a much cleaner, crisper video. I really want this to be possible on YouTube for me.
I know it can record 1080p that's why I edited my post but you caught me mid editing somehow even though I posted the edited version before you >< I'd have thought it be a resample issue but since you disable it already I have no idea now. I used to upscale 720p videos to 1080p when I first started no problems so 480 to 720 doesn't seem like a big jump it could be what I said but if someone else is getting good results from 480p then I am at a loss. Hopefully someone else can shed light for you. Sorry I couldn't be any more help no one seemed to reply to your post. I ended up searching around the web for you as well. Also the requirement for Vegas are on here, I doubt it's your computer since it recommends a 2Ghz processor (http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/product/broadcast-products-creative-software/vegas-pro-13/specifications/) If you want you can send me a link to the clip so i can download it and render it. I can send you a picture or upload it as an unlisted video afterwards to see if it really is a rendering issue for yourself? Saying that I've watched a lot of Wii Mario Kart videos on YT and the quality of the popular YouTuber's compared to yours is pretty much the same if not worse sometimes so I wouldn't let it demotivate you.
upload_2016-1-19_5-46-1.png

Last edited:
Reactions: KingDecimator

KingDecimator

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I know it can record 1080p that's why I edited my post but you caught me mid editing >< I'd have thought it be a resample issue but since you disable it already otherwise I have no idea now. I used to upscale 720p videos to 1080p when I first started no problems so 480 to 720 doesn't seem like a big jump it could be what I said but if someone else is getting good results from 480p then I am at a loss. Hopefully someone else can shed light for you. Sorry I couldn't be any more help nk one seemed to reply to your post.
Yeah hopefully someone else knows. It's all good by the way, thanks for trying to help at least. ^v^

Reactions: Shehzad

KingDecimator

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
One of my friends helped me out a lot with things and long story short, my videos aren't really grainy anymore.

This thread can now be locked by a moderator.