Can you still upload shorts using your PC?

Acerthorn

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I just saw a video that said that you can upload shorts using any device (not just mobile) as long as it fits the criteria of being (A) less than 60 seconds long, (B) having a resolution that is either a perfect square or taller than it is wide, and (C) having the hashtag #shorts in the title. Then Youtube will automatically treat it like a short.

But that video was from 2020, and it went out of its way to emphasize that their statements were only true as of that video's publication.

Can anyone still confirm if I can still upload shorts to Youtube with my desktop as long as they fit the above criteria?

Honestly, I don't know why Youtube would want to exclude desktop users if it meant more mobile and desktop viewers alike were happy and kept coming back to Youtube.

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
this still works, but #short isn't one of the criteria. good practice to do it anyway, but lots of videos have became shorts without #shorts

also no pc viewing maybe because watching vertical videos on a horizontal screen is strange, and maybe for fear of killing their long form content. these are just guess though.
Fact, as of right now, shorts generate 0 dollars for youtube.

So in my opinion - doesn't make sense to push them everywhere yet

Acerthorn

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
also no pc viewing maybe because watching vertical videos on a horizontal screen is strange,
I can watch LegalEagle's #shorts on my desktop just fine.

and maybe for fear of killing their long form content. these are just guess though.
Actually, I'm thinking about starting a shorts series to promote my long-form content! I'm a gaming channel, and I was thinking I would take out the funniest moments from my main videos and feature them in shorts. To work around the "verticle" requirement, I could simply put black bars on the top and bottom so that the video technically qualifies as a "verticle" or "square" video.

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
yes - but not in the short shelf. vertical short videos in youtubes normal player isn't new. that has worked for a few years now. What people are going crazy over is the short shelf, which only works on mobile. Seeing 1 legal eagles video or 10, is very different from having the short shelf which only shows you vertical videos. But i see your point.

when I'm going through the short shelf and I find a video that letter boxes (black bars on top and bottom) it look kind of bad. Like a thumbnail size video in a sea of full vertical video. Maybe put text in the blank space? so the space isn't just wasted? Or out of focus background idk.

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I approve - I might do the same thing for my friends channel. Never thought to do this before this thread