Can I advertise a product in my video without the permission of the company making the product?

pineknotpineknot

Reaction score
For example I would like to make a 30 minute long video on how to catch bass and then in the middle of the video have 30 seconds of footage of me advertising in my own words a Shimano fishing pole. I would then put an amazon affiliate link to buy the fishing pole down in the comments under the video. I would not charge Shimano for this advertisement or even ask for their permission to place the advertisement in my video. Is this a violation of google or youtube policies? Thanks in advance for your help.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I've moved this to the main forum. :)

For example I would like to make a 30 minute long video on how to catch bass and then in the middle of the video have 30 seconds of footage of me advertising in my own words a Shimano fishing pole. I would then put an amazon affiliate link to buy the fishing pole down in the comments under the video. I would not charge Shimano for this advertisement or even ask for their permission to place the advertisement in my video. Is this a violation of google or youtube policies? Thanks in advance for your help.

You would only need permission from the manufacturer if you were using their product photographs or something like that. In other words, you need to ask permission to use someone's copyrighted content (video or photos)

Other than that, don't forget to comply with FTC rules regarding affiliate marketing. You need to disclose that you earn a commission if people buy through your links. You should probably disclose it while speaking in the video and also in text next to the affiliate link. :)

TeraVex

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician, Gamer, Reviewer
I'd say you can, although the content in the video would have to be your own. If you use something like commercial footage I'd be sure to edit it in a way so you're not breaking any sort of copyright law.

LandyVlad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Indeed - happens all the time. No problem so long as you keep in mind the issues re copyright as mentioned above.

Check out "The Detail Geek" channel for example.

He talks about the machines he uses all the time, uses his own footage of course, and has affiliate links in his descriptions. He's not paid by the companies at all.

The way he does it is a good model of what you are asking I think.

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Well you got all the answers already, welcome to the forum & congrats on 1st post. Btw you can make it easy to find your channel, put a link under name(age) as seen under mine to the LEFT of this msg - read my signature on HOW TO below this msg

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
No that is no violation so long as you are not using their content