Blocking low Paid CPC Ads to Increase Adsense Revenue

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I came across a number of videos that talk about blocking the lowest paid CPC ads on your channel. This will apparently enable more higher CPC ads to be served (since Google appears to serve about 60% of views with ads). So if 20% of those are low CPC, and you cut them out, the rationale is that 20% will be replaced with higher earning CPC ads, hence giving you more income.

I'm investigating this at the moment. I've enabled my account, and waiting for approval. Has anyone tried this and has any experience with this?

Below are links to some videos that describe this strategy:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwxM5vD8Vf0
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNNmFPI6if4
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aOhMwK8rDo

Since there is a link in Adsense dashboard to block ads, I have not yet found anything that states this is against any TOS or policies:

adsense.jpg

adsense2.jpg

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have researched this in the past. All my research pointed to allow all ads regardless. I didnt go through with any testing.
I am interested to learn how you get on though.

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I've moved this to the monetization forum. I've heard of people discussing this on other forums, (regarding adsense for websites, but same principle) and the conclusion was that mentioned by @EVO - The ad algorithm actually automatically tries to get the best deal for the publisher regardless. The only time I might use the "block certain ads" option would be if one of my competitors had an ad campaign and I didn't want their ads on my content and brand.

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
When someone clicks on a video, YouTube's algorithms first check to see if they're due for an ad. If they are, it then goes through all of the known parameters (age and location of viewer, tags and descriptions from the video, etc.) and finds all ads that would be a good match for the video. From the list of available and appropriate ads, it airs the one who's advertiser bid the highest rate on.

YouTube doesn't try to balance things or keep it even, they simply display the highest priced available ad at all times. So, if you were to disable the lower paying ads, you're not going to have more higher paying ads displayed, you'll just end up with fewer ads in general.

When an advertiser wants to have an ad shown, they can specify each of the demographics and video types that their video is shown to. Once that's finished, they place a bid on how much they're willing to pay for each ad (anywhere from $.01 up to a few dollars in certain markets) and then set the total daily budget they're willing to pay.

Advertisers bid higher knowing that only the highest bids are shown at any given time. So, if a lower bid ad is displayed, it's because the higher bids have already reached their daily budget.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have researched this in the past. All my research pointed to allow all ads regardless. I didnt go through with any testing.
I am interested to learn how you get on though.
Makes sense. I would expect the ad serving algorithms to be highly optimized to increase revenue for Google.[DOUBLEPOST=1475094279,1475094233][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've moved this to the monetization forum. I've heard of people discussing this on other forums, (regarding adsense for websites, but same principle) and the conclusion was that mentioned by @EVO - The ad algorithm actually automatically tries to get the best deal for the publisher regardless. The only time I might use the "block certain ads" option would be if one of my competitors had an ad campaign and I didn't want their ads on my content and brand.
Thanks, makes sense.[DOUBLEPOST=1475094507][/DOUBLEPOST]
When someone clicks on a video, YouTube's algorithms first check to see if they're due for an ad. If they are, it then goes through all of the known parameters (age and location of viewer, tags and descriptions from the video, etc.) and finds all ads that would be a good match for the video. From the list of available and appropriate ads, it airs the one who's advertiser bid the highest rate on.

YouTube doesn't try to balance things or keep it even, they simply display the highest priced available ad at all times. So, if you were to disable the lower paying ads, you're not going to have more higher paying ads displayed, you'll just end up with fewer ads in general.

When an advertiser wants to have an ad shown, they can specify each of the demographics and video types that their video is shown to. Once that's finished, they place a bid on how much they're willing to pay for each ad (anywhere from $.01 up to a few dollars in certain markets) and then set the total daily budget they're willing to pay.

Advertisers bid higher knowing that only the highest bids are shown at any given time. So, if a lower bid ad is displayed, it's because the higher bids have already reached their daily budget.
Yes good points. If the ad inventory is low for whatever reasons, and only a few networks are bidding at the 0.05 CPC and below, and those networks are disabled, then no ads would appear. That's a great observation. I had assumed there are always higher CPC ads sitting there waiting and are not being shown because lower CPC ads are running, but that doesn't make sense. i assumed the lower CPC ads might be more relevant (for example) and are being show ahead of less relevant higher CPC ads. But it would not work this way thinking about it more.

Reactions: Clam- and Crown