Big drop in CPM around the 10th..

DesignCourse

Reaction score
My CPM went from around $25 to $15 in the course of a week or so around December 10th -- views have remained the same.. I'm curious if this could be due to the holidays and my niche (I teach design/code), or if this is related to something else?

Thanks

Attachments

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru

DesignCourse

Reaction score
Hi

The 9th/10th December was a deadline imposed by the FTC for all the COPPA changes. It may be related to that?

More info:

I teach design and code, so my videos have been marked as not related to children. I talked to a couple of other youtubers in my niche, and they've noticed a similar decline in CPM.

I imagine this may be specific to advertisers in my niche.

If it were related to the COPPA changes, and being that my videos aren't targeted towards children, wouldn't it be affecting every channel that's not targeted towards children too? If so, I wonder if other people can chime in and let me know if their non-child channel's CPM's have dropped...

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I teach design and code, so my videos have been marked as not related to children. I talked to a couple of other youtubers in my niche, and they've noticed a similar decline in CPM.

I imagine this may be specific to advertisers in my niche.

If it were related to the COPPA changes, and being that my videos aren't targeted towards children, wouldn't it be affecting every channel that's not targeted towards children too? If so, I wonder if other people can chime in and let me know if their non-child channel's CPM's have dropped...

I mentioned the FTC thing only because the dates you mention coincide with their deadline. That could be a coincidence but I'm guessing the uncertainty of Youtube has affected advertisers. Putting myself in the shoes of big corporations, they know the whole world is watching and are probably holding back on budgets until there is some clarity. That is just speculation on my behalf.

Just re-reading your original post:

My CPM went from around $25 to $15
Are you sure you mean CPM here? A CPM (cost per thousand views) of $25 (or even $15) would probably be a world record. I assume you mean that your daily earnings have fallen from $25 to $15 ? They're not the same metrics.

If your net daily earnings have decreased and the total number of views on your channel have remained constant, then 1 of 2 (or possibly both) of the following variables have decreased:

- CPM (The amount an advertiser is willing to spend per thousand views on ads. ) - That figure is the 3rd tab in the revenue analytics
-Number of monetized playbacks (basically the number of views that actually had ads on them. A video can be "monetized" but not get any monetizable views if no advertisers were willing to place ads on a video at any given time.) -
That figure is the 1st tab in the revenue analytics.

By definition - One or both of those 2 metrics must have decreased on your channel. As for the reasons, it's anybody's guess.

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
25$ is high but isn't really extraordinary, some niches have quite higher pay rates. I've recently watched a few of those videos where bigger channels shared their Analytics and one guy in particular was somewhere in between the $20-30 territory, though his topics primarily revolved around money, investing, business, real estate etc...

DesignCourse

Reaction score
I mentioned the FTC thing only because the dates you mention coincide with their deadline. That could be a coincidence but I'm guessing the uncertainty of Youtube has affected advertisers. Putting myself in the shoes of big corporations, they know the whole world is watching and are probably holding back on budgets until there is some clarity. That is just speculation on my behalf.

Just re-reading your original post:

Are you sure you mean CPM here? A CPM (cost per thousand views) of $25 (or even $15) would probably be a world record. I assume you mean that your daily earnings have fallen from $25 to $15 ? They're not the same metrics.

If your net daily earnings have decreased and the total number of views on your channel have remained constant, then 1 of 2 (or possibly both) of the following variables have decreased:

- CPM (The amount an advertiser is willing to spend per thousand views on ads. ) - That figure is the 3rd tab in the revenue analytics
-Number of monetized playbacks (basically the number of views that actually had ads on them. A video can be "monetized" but not get any monetizable views if no advertisers were willing to place ads on a video at any given time.) -
That figure is the 1st tab in the revenue analytics.

By definition - One or both of those 2 metrics must have decreased on your channel. As for the reasons, it's anybody's guess.
No, $20 CPM is around what my channel has been averaging for the last half year. The last 365 days is $17.09. If you count the last 30 days with exception to this last week, the CPM is $25. This week it's been $15. My average daily earnings went from around $205 to $130-$150.

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
No, $20 CPM is around what my channel has been averaging for the last half year. The last 365 days is $17.09. If you count the last 30 days with exception to this last week, the CPM is $25. This week it's been $15. My average daily earnings went from around $205 to $130-$150.
Lol, you still make more in a day than my channel makes in a month from ads :D

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Oh wow, I stand corrected. :) That's a very high CPM. I'm guessing your demographics is predominately North America and UK ?

CPM varies with differing supply and demand for ad space. It could be something as simple as a large ad campaign coming to an end on that date.

DesignCourse

Reaction score
Oh wow, I stand corrected. :) That's a very high CPM. I'm guessing your demographics is predominately North America and UK ?

CPM varies with differing supply and demand for ad space. It could be something as simple as a large ad campaign coming to an end on that date.
India is my #1 at 17%, and US is like 14% at #2. So, yeah, I don't know! I do know that I have a higher than average CPM compared to a couple other channels in my niche.

But yeah, you're probably right.

Reactions: Crown

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
firstly, WOW THAT CPM THOUGH!!!
heck if I had that I'd be rich :dead2:

cpm graph.JPG
this is my graph of cpm on the same dates, red line is December 10th
I don't particularly see much of a change out of the norm