Best advice for new vloggers (travel vloggers in particuluar!)

HereBeBarr

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I wanted to make this post, to give back to some of the newer vloggers on here as I have found this forum quite useful in learning about Youtube. I've been travel vlogging for 10 months now, and my channel has been performing very well in the last 2-3. I’ve tripled in views + subs. I think something “clicked” and I want to discuss it with my friends here. This piece of advice, in my opinion is more valuable than SEO, click bait thumbnail photos, and drone shots combined. If you are doing this in your videos, I think sooner or later your viewers/subscriber base will pop (of course polishing up your SEO/thumbnails and shots will certainly boost the process).. But what is that missing link?

It all comes back to something a friend told me some time ago after watching one of my first 10 or so videos.. “Where’s the Jon I know? The funny one.. The character. “ And I didn’t truly digest the meaning of that critique until the other day, although I subliminally adjusted to it. What is the one thing all big time vloggers have in common? They’re authentic and relatable.. Watch Casey Neistat, watch Fun For Louis, watch any of the bigger people in this group. I think if I met any of them in person, they would be exactly the same way off-camera as on-camera. They’re authentic. They’re quirky. They’re true to themselves. You know what to expect in their videos. They have a style, a “voice”. When I ditched my broadcasting persona and just started being myself, that’s when my views and more importantly subscriber numbers started getting boosted.

I’ve watched so many travel vlogging channels. I see the same things over and over again (not all of course). Vloggers more concerned with edits/drones and cool image.. But when they’re on camera, they’re holding back and afraid to show their viewers their true selves. They’re generic. It’s the same vlog made, by the same Youtuber, about the same place. On the flip side, some people try true hard and get a little to “polished” which I think works far better on television then on Youtube, a medium where people want raw and authentic (although we could debate this). I was quite guilty of the latter in probably the first 25-30% of my vlogs. So what did I change.. I started including more random things in my videos, things I found amusing.. Mistakes I made. Bloopers. I talked to the camera as a friend, not a big audience member. Isn’t that what a subscriber is, just a friend you don’t know yet? If they like you enough to subscribe, you could probably be friends in real life. I made the camera my eyes and showed what I found interesting. I’m also not afraid to show my goofy, quirky, clumsy, dorky side. I’m obsessed with trying to find ways to save money and to avoid tourist traps. That’s who I am and what I like to show in videos.

So let me ask you this question.. If your best friends watched your last vlog.. Would they see you or somebody else? I hope this doesn’t seem to much of a rant, just some thoughts that recently came together. It may or may not apply to you, but this is the biggest piece of advice I would give a new travel vlogger. Because remember, they will come to your video for information about a place, but they will stay because of you. Be as authentic and true to yourself as you can. Your audience can tell. Hope this helps at least one of you!

Edward Thomas

Reaction score
This advice is really helpful thanks! I have one big question which I'm unsure on, I'm
Going to be making a travel video of a whole trip but I'm unsure whether to film a voice over afterwards where I talk about the trip too (abit like Casey neistat's Vietnam
Video) or to just film and tell the story whilst I'm there.

HereBeBarr

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
It depends on your style and vision for the piece. Some people don't like appearing with their faces on camera. I personally think it builds a better connection with the audience. But if done correctly, a voiceover can be quite effective. In that case though, your voice and innotation are much much more important.

Reactions: Edward Thomas

BrokenGames

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I recently have started taking a camera with me everywhere and recording a bit because I am starting a vlog channel. I have videos on my main channel of me in front of a camera, and what I've noticed is that back when I tried too hard under a mask of 'professionalism,' the videos weren't interesting. Your advice is great, and I'll be coming back to this thread often to keep myself grounded.

Reactions: HereBeBarr

sipilatommi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Nice piece of advice. It does indeed take some time getting used to talking to the camera and being relaxed. My first vlogs are just utterly utterly terrible.

I've also been thinking of this lately in a way that I should just start having the camera out all the time. Like I often see things that are funny or interesting to me, but since the camera is in a bag I don't stop, take it out and shoot. If it was already in my hands, I would probably stop and "add more of me" to my vlogs.

However, I do think the shots have to work as well. Or like there has to be a story and pacing in the video and b-roll is one way to help with that.

HereBeBarr

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Yes, story is key. If you are vlogging, what happened that day? Anybody can watch a documentary on a city or a place. But what makes your day so unique and compelling?

Reactions: sipilatommi

Sam4God

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I completely agree with this. I've been posting videos on my channel since 2010. By 2014, I only had about 500 subscribers.
Then some of my work-mates watched my videos and jokingly told me I sound "posh" and "different" in them.
Those words stayed with me and I gradually started to show more and more of my real personality in my videos and that posh "put on" voice went away.
3 years later and one of the things my subscribers comment about my videos the most is how funny and weird I can be and I love it! I get comments saying people feel like the know me or that I'm their best friend.
This would never have happened if I wasn't my true weird self on camera and had continued the way I used to.
At the end of the day, there are SO many YouTube channels about almost EVERY topic online.
To make YOUR channel unique and different, you HAVE to add a bit of yourself to it. YOU are what makes your channel different. Not the style or genre of videos you're making.

sledrunner31

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thats the hardest part for me. I try to keep things interesting but I also want the videos to be pleasing to watch. So I end up with all kinds of stuff. Experimenting with different techniques and trying to see which one gets the best feedback. Seems like it depends on who the audience is.

Matthew Autry

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey, yeah im a fairly new vlogger, and i would like to thank you for your post, it helps greatly, and it is also very true. :)