Backing up Videos Online

Hulio

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have an external hard drive, but I want to start backing up all my video files online. What are people's experiences and recommendations with sites like IDrive, Mozy, Carbonite, etc? Which are the best? Most economical?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I have an external hard drive, but I want to start backing up all my video files online. What are people's experiences and recommendations with sites like IDrive, Mozy, Carbonite, etc? Which are the best? Most economical?

I use Google's "backup and sync" -

As the name suggests, it does 2 things. Backs up files and syncs files. They are 2 very different things. "sync" means your files on your cloud server will always be in "sync" with files on your local drive. Example, if you delete a file on your disk drive, if you enable "sync", the app will then also delete it on the cloud. That is probably not what you want.

"Backup" is different. It will take a backup of all new files you create on your local disk and copy them to the cloud. When you delete a file from your local drive, it will NOT delete it from the cloud. (That's the point - It's a permanent backup) - That is probably what you want.

With google "backup and sync", you can use just the "backup" or "sync" option or both. The program is free for the first 15GB of space so you can test it for free. Just set it up with a test folder and see if it's what you need.

Reactions: Hulio

Hulio

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Wow, great, thanks! I will look into this for sure. I'd fill 15 GB up pretty quick, but it sounds like a great option - even if I have to pay beyond that... thanks again!

Reactions: Crown

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Wow, great, thanks! I will look into this for sure. I'd fill 15 GB up pretty quick, but it sounds like a great option - even if I have to pay beyond that... thanks again!
It's pretty cheap. I have their 100GB plan and it's €1.99 per month

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
If you select High Quality over Original Quality, the storage in Unlimited. Google will compress you videos, but they will still be HD quality.