Are you allowed to read books on youtube?

abacoIan

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm thinking of reading a few books and posting videos for various reasons? I'm guessing that's not allowed? Is there a way to legally read some parts of books without getting in trouble?
Thank you.

Seansie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I see a lot of YouTubers reading cover to cover kids books. I’m not sure if they needed permission beforehand but I can see it being necessary since it’s not exactly their material. I’m not 100% sure though....now I’m curious...

Reactions: abacoIan

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
100% NOT allowed. Unless you specifically have permission from the originator /owner of the copyright material. And before asks.. putting a link to the originator of the work is not in anyway a thing. That's like stealing a tv and leaving a note crediting the original owner. You have a cool :cool:channel so look after it

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
@UhoohExtra is correct.

Open any book and look at the copyright notice (usually at the front).

Here's one from a random book on my bookshelf:

Copyright © 2015 by XXXXXXXX

All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of XXXXXX

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Well that stinks, ruins my idea for a channel

Why don't you contact the publishers of the book(s) you'd like to make videos about and tell them you'd like to make a book review video about their book and you'd like to read a passage from the book in the video and ask them for permission and guidance as to what they would consider "fair use"

I'm sure if you proposed to only read a short passage, followed by your analysis and opinion, then they might be ok with it? The worst thing that can happen is that they say "no."

Seansie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I'm sure if you proposed to only read a short passage, followed by your analysis and opinion, then they might be ok with it?
This definitely is a way for authors to get exposure. If I were a book seller, I’d be fine with someone reading a small portion or two of the book.

Reactions: Crown

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Maybe there are some sort of authors that make their work shareable.. like what some images and audio files are? Might be worth doing a Google search for that.In fact i did. I learn some books are out of copyright. https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/out-of-copyright.
Further http://teachingcopyright.org says In general, "works published after 1977 will not fall into the public domain until 70 years after the death of author, or, for corporate works, anonymous works, or works for hire, 95 years from the date of publication or 120 years from the date of creation, whichever expires first." Don;t know about pre 1977. Also found this https://www.lifewire.com/find-public-domain-books-online-3481751

There you go! You have options. I'm sure old books /public domain books are just as good if you search out some favourites. Your channel idea lives on !!!!!!! :)

Seansie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I'm sure old books /public domain books are just as good if you search out some favourites.
Fables are always good! And I know a lot of literature classes would appreciate some old books being broken down and talked about.

Reactions: UhoohExtra