Anyone using video hosting sites other than just Youtube?

Reaction score
Hello :) I was wondering whether there are many people on here who post videos to Youtube, but also use other sites, such as Vimeo and so forth? I watched a couple of Youtube videos that said they use both Vimeo and Youtube when they post videos, but they didn't go into any details about how successful Vimeo is in terms of views and monetisation. I went to the Vimeo website, and there is a lot of advertising claiming that people make more money on Vimeo after closing their Youtube channel and joining Vimeo, but in reality I've never heard anyone say that (just Vimeo's ads). It looks like Vimeo has a really odd set-up where you seem to have to pay them to join it and post videos - which seems crazy, because a person who has made a few instructable videos but has no subs isn't going to want to pay Vimeo to host the videos when they're earning nothing back in the first year?

The reason I ask is partly because I don't want to keep all my eggs in one basket by setting up a channel only on Youtube (diversifying is better), and secondly because Youtube is plagued by comment bots and spam, in addition to comments from hate groups. For example, if a person posts a video about teaching Python programming to girls in Africa, the comment section is just writhing with misogynist comments saying girls can't program and Black people are less intelligent, so Youtube comes across as very unprofessional. I wouldn't want my viewers reading that sort of filth as I'd want the comment section to be encouraging.

So are many of you using multiple platforms, and how is going for you? Thanks!

Reaction score
lbry is one to consider if you want something a bit different
That looks quite cool. I like the way it is blockchain-based and creators can charge whatever they want. It says the site will never demonetise people though, which is a bit of a worry because I'd be concerned LBRY might later end up being swamped with racist videos or piracy videos that are not taken down, and then creators might get a bad name for using "that type of site." So I'll have to do more research into it and find out how they protect themselves against this.

I did some research into Vimeo and found they do offer a Vimeo Basic plan, which is free and you can upload videos, but you only get limited space. So I'll test it out and see how many videos can actually be uploaded before the free plan runs out of space.