Anyone switch from FCP to Premier?

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I’m getting increasingly frustrated with Apple/FCP.. Currently since the High Sierra upgrade FCPX is almost unusable (not just for me, but thousands of others) and who knows if/when Apple will ever get around to fixing it.. It seems like every few months I go through this same type of frustration and each time I consider making the change to Premier Pro - but after using Final Cut for almost 10 years, I dont know if my old brain can handle it..
So... Who has made the change from FCP to Premier and how difficult was it? Any gotcha’s or anything you can’t do in Premier that you did in Final Cut?

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I made the change to Premiere years ago when FCP started trying to become more simplified but stuffing up all the good things we once loved. I'm a 10+ year editor myself and wish I'd been using Premiere earlier. They don't dump drastic changes on you all the time, it's a great editing suite which I'm on 8+ hours a day every day!

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Don't know, I render off a MacTop and rendering/exporting takes 20-25 mins for a 10-15 minute (1-15.gb) video in 1080 60fps. My friend who operates from a PC desktop does it in 5-10 minutes for the same lengths. This isn't an issue for me, when my daily edit is rendering, I can go through emails or have lunch :)[DOUBLEPOST=1511322085,1511322031][/DOUBLEPOST]Can't you download a month trial to see for yourself? I think it's worth it.

ericshift1

Reaction score
Depending on what MBP you have it varies, but FCPx would probably render that video faster than you're friends PC. It's like 5-10 times faster than premiere. Switching in the reverse direction right now because of bugs and awful render times in Premiere Pro.

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I made the jump from FCP 7 to Premierpro and I can tell you if you've ever had any experience on an NLE before its literally just a case of swapping the keyboard shortcuts in the preferences and you'll be good to go...if your used to the magnetic timeline and you've never touched an NLE before you may need a few days practice cutting to get a feel for it...personally having tried most of the main editing softwares out there currently I feel most at home with Premierpro or Sony vegas...thats just me though