Any women posting to Reddit?

Rowan Oakley

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
As I plan to go on hiatus and overhaul my channel I'm starting to think about marketing in different places to where I have before. I had a look yesterday at Reddit, which I've never really used before, and would like to use it because it seems a good place to try.

The only problem is that it looks like some parts can be very hostile towards women, and I am female. I'm very nervous about making my presence known there, especially since my plan is to show my face (well, behind my mask) on most of my videos, so the idea of appearing there feels potentially risky.

Have any women posted there? To which Subreddits, and what was the reception like? Is there anything I can do to be less of a target? Or should I just forget it and go elsewhere?

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I've posted on Reddit quite a few times, yes the site can be garbage but it depends on where you post I mainly post on the promotion page in order to give my video some trafficking and I've gotten a few views because but if anyone gives you problems just block them, they're not worth the aggravation.

Reactions: Melinda621

Heather White

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I post to Reddit. As long as you are engaging in the community, you should attract the right audience. I promote my blog as well as my channel there. You shouldn't worry about letting one website know your face if you aren't afraid to show your content to other places. Of course you risk the haters when you put yourself out there. You have to take the good and the bad.

Melinda621

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Guru
I've been looking to promote on Reddit too.:) I've been doing research on here, and it seems like (and correct me if I'm wrong) the general consensus is that it's a hit or a miss.... but it can generate lots of views if used correctly. lol I've never actually spent too much time on the site, but from the comments I'm reading about it, they can be brutal to just about everyone who self promotes their videos. lol That's why I'm gonna hold off until my videos are less amateur-newbie :redface: but hey, it might be worth a try! I second MsAleenValentine - if people are giving you problems, just block them.

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I would recommend finding the smaller sub reddits to try, works for me! I got nowhere posting on the Pokémon Reddit, but the specific "twitch plays Pokémon" sub Reddit loved my vids and they tend to post my vids there before I get a chance to lol. Only a small community there but its the perfect audience

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
The only problem is that it looks like some parts can be very hostile towards women, and I am female.
The problem is they are very hostile toward everyone. It's the biggest garbage pile of trolls and assholes on the internet.
There are some sections better than others, and I'm sure hidden deep down there are a few non-hostile sections, but overall, it's just a bunch of assclowns trying to make themselves look smart/tough/whatever.

Rowan Oakley

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
The problem is they are very hostile toward everyone. It's the biggest garbage pile of trolls and assholes on the internet.
There are some sections better than others, and I'm sure hidden deep down there are a few non-hostile sections, but overall, it's just a bunch of assclowns trying to make themselves look smart/tough/whatever.
Oh, fo sho? Thanks for the warning. I know the vibe you're talking about.

Thanks to everyone who has added to this conversation since. I think what I'm going to do is stick with a more supportive community (ie., us here) until I'm confident about my vids. I think I'll eventually get to a point where I'm confident enough to post on Reddit, but like it's been suggested above, I'll find the more specific smaller subreddits to introduce myself.