Annoying that the YouTube editor doesn't let you edit things that matter

FACEandLMS

Reaction score
I posted this on YouTube's Support forum yesterday. No reply so far:

"The YouTube editor lets you cut your video in half, stable a shaky cam, or add colour to it"

Great for footage of your kid riding a bike, but if you want to correct something important in your video, all you can rely on is annotations, which most handheld devices can't "see". And if anyone downloads your video to watch them later, they also won't see the annotations.

I uploaded a video - I'm probably not allowed to say its name as it would get classed as advertising, but it starts "WAW 1.1 The Red..." - and realized I had made a mistake. I thought: I can't edit the uploaded video footage but at least I can upload a new video with just audio - called "WAW 1.1 Audio" to replace the audio of the original video, "WAW 1.1 The Red..." - and use annotations on the video. That combo seemed like a sort of workaround: annotations AND updated audio for anyone watching the video as a downloaded mp4, or on tablets or phones. (Audio Swap)

But I have just learned after having uploaded "WAW 1.1. Audio" that I can't use it to replace the audio of "WAW 1.1 The Red...". I don't want to lose the views, comments and link. Why won't YouTube allow a 3 or even 1-time edit of videos or just audio?

You Tube thinks that if they allow users to edit uploads with new uploads, people will abuse it by removing copyrighted material then reuploading it. But I don't see what's wrong with having a 3 or even 1 reupload limit? I mean people make mistakes, right?

What would you advise in my situation for viewers who will be watching on tablets where they can't see annotations or viewers who will download the video as mp4? is it a just a case of: hard luck, pal, we don't really care? :(

Attachments

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Hi and welcome to YTtalk.

I've moved your thread to the editing / software forum. :)