An example of the importance of choosing the right topic and doing good SEO!

Alexander Hoff

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
This is just something I wanted to share, because I thought it was pretty interesting.

A few months ago I looked up some popular and non-competitive keywords using TubeBuddy and the youtube search suggestions. I make a lot of instrumental and orchestral royalty free music that anyone can use for free, as long as they credit me. It's a niche, sure, but it's still pretty competitive.

What I noticed was that barely anyone had uploaded royalty free tracks with drums/percussion ONLY. And people were actually searching for it! So that's what I did! I made a drum/percussion track and used a lot of good keywords in both the title, description, and tags. It is now my fastest growing video.

It took a couple of weeks for it to start taking off, but now it's the one I get the most views from daily.
We're only talking about 10 views per day here, but I'm still a very small channel. The important thing is that it never stops getting views. Most views come from youtube search, google search, and suggested videos. People are actually LOOKING for this kind of stuff.

Some pictures! ("visningar" means "views" in swedish)

Compared to another video where the SEO sucks and that no one is searching for
(This one was really just for me and my subscribers, boring thumbnail too)

Analytics!

Most popular videos the last 48 hours

Tags (with TubeBuddy rankings)

Abdullahx9000

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
That was a GOOD example! Thanks a lot, it will sure help me a lot! =]
How do I get similar tags for other kind of videos? I do Gaming

Last edited:

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I think your magic keyword here is "royalty free." I wouldn't put too much stock on the rankings for those other, very specific keywords. If I were in your shoes, "ROYALTY FREE" will be going into all of my titles.

Alexander Hoff

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I think your magic keyword here is "royalty free." I wouldn't put too much stock on the rankings for those other, very specific keywords. If I were in your shoes, "ROYALTY FREE" will be going into all of my titles.
That keyword alone is WAY too competitive, so I don't completely agree.
It's important (obviously) but you definitely need good keywords beyond just that. Not all my royalty free stuff does this well. Some do really bad.

This is what people are searching for(most views come from search).

Notice also how many people like to search for "copyright free music". Big reason why my new videos have that too in the title (and not just ROYALTY FREE). Just some interesting info lol...

But yes, my royalty free music does better than my non-royalty free stuff.

Oh, and titles and description matters way more than tags. I've definitely noticed that :).

Last edited:
Reactions: SidTV

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
That keyword alone is WAY too competitive, so I don't completely agree.
It's important (obviously) but you definitely need good keywords beyond just that. Not all my royalty free stuff does this well. Some do really bad.

This is what people are searching for(most views come from search).

Notice also how many people like to search for "copyright free music". Big reason why my new videos have that too in the title (and not just ROYALTY FREE). Just some interesting info lol...

But yes, my royalty free music does better than my non-royalty free stuff.

Oh, and titles and description matters way more than tags. I've definitely noticed that :).
Well, I suppose I'll adjust my initial statement. Your magical keywords are "copyright free" and "royalty free." Honestly, anything "FREE" in the title should help.

Reactions: HKTechTony

chubbybots

I've Got It
Reaction score
oh my this is really useful, i didn't even know you can look at the exact terms people are using in the search till your post :D Plus now i have new music to use from you for my vids haha :D

Reactions: Alexander Hoff

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Awesome, I love a bit of SEO :) I recently subscribed to Tube Buddy so I'll be looking at finding those low competition keywords with search volume within my niche. I am an SEO in my day job, so I really need to do better in YouTube SEO, but hey, I guess I'm still learning! Thanks again for this case study :)

Thanks,
Darren

shahinmp

Reaction score
Awesome, I love a bit of SEO :) I recently subscribed to Tube Buddy so I'll be looking at finding those low competition keywords with search volume within my niche. I am an SEO in my day job, so I really need to do better in YouTube SEO, but hey, I guess I'm still learning! Thanks again for this case study :)

Thanks,
Darren
Hi Man,

How was your experience with Tube buddy? Have you seen any positive results? I wonder if I should purchase their service...

Alexander Hoff

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Just wanted to make a quick update on this.

"Drums of Fury" is now getting like 40-50 views a day, and it's getting recommended on tons of videos with similar content (royalty free drums and percussion). More than half of my daily views come from just this one video.

Realtime views (last 48 hours)

Steve0192

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Great Job!

If I were you I'd follow it up with a few more drum and percussion videos, to build up a "voice of authority" in this area. It looks like the type of video that should generate a good rate of view over the long term.

Steve

Reactions: Alexander Hoff