RuuD

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
As someone that just got their channel setup, not completely just got some graphics and extra work to do but when im done i want to know how to spend my time wisely on and how to help myself grow. I plan on doing gaming videos/let's plays/walkthroughs. Mainly playing single player games but would implement co-op down the line and have a bit of fun with another person. With all that in mind what advice would you give me?

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Pretty much depends on what's the goal with your channel? Do it just for fun? You don't care about growing? You want to have thousands of subs? You planning on doing commentary? what games? etc etc

RuuD

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Pretty much depends on what's the goal with your channel? Do it just for fun? You don't care about growing? You want to have thousands of subs? You planning on doing commentary? what games? etc etc
First of all thank you very much for the response. To answer your questions im doing this for the fun of playing games but i want to grow as well. If i get thousands of subs i would be over the moon but i doubt ill ever get there. I will be doing live commentary videos of mainly single player games. The best example for what i'm trying to do is theRadBrad. I plan on incorporating co-op and multiplayer games from time to time and see what people prefer but it will mainly be single player stuff. The games im hoping to play are Metro Exodus, The Division 2, Sekiro and The Sinking City. These are just the few titles coming out over the next month.

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Good call trying new titles, trending games can always help. I would advise to drop Let's Play Videos ... I believe it will be really hard to grow like that and if you reach 1K subs 4K hours your commentary might not be enough to monetise your channel since it needs to give what YouTube calls "Added Value" meaning that if there're thousands of channels doing the same thing... YouTube might call your channel duplication since it's not adding nothing new.

Instead, I would recommend giving tips, tricks, secrets, Easter eggs for the games you would like to play. A good example for this is the channel Where's Barry.... he just went from 38K views December to 1,2Million views on January and from 456 subs to 8,4K subs thanks to Resident Evil 2 Remake!

This advice is only if you are planning to create a channel and you want to be part of the YPP. If you don't care about monetisation then you don't need advice... do whatever makes you happy and hope for the best!

Another advice would be asking permission to the developer of the game or look if they have a content creator program,. Believe me, not every game developer want to see their game on YouTube and if they don't like you... they can easily bring your channel down

Reactions: RuuD

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Show your face in the corner of the recording and record voiceover throughout. (If you ever plan for monestisation)

Reactions: RuuD

RuuD

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Good call trying new titles, trending games can always help. I would advise to drop Let's Play Videos ... I believe it will be really hard to grow like that and if you reach 1K subs 4K hours your commentary might not be enough to monetise your channel since it needs to give what YouTube calls "Added Value" meaning that if there're thousands of channels doing the same thing... YouTube might call your channel duplication since it's not adding nothing new.

Instead, I would recommend giving tips, tricks, secrets, Easter eggs for the games you would like to play. A good example for this is the channel Where's Barry.... he just went from 38K views December to 1,2Million views on January and from 456 subs to 8,4K subs thanks to Resident Evil 2 Remake!

This advice is only if you are planning to create a channel and you want to be part of the YPP. If you don't care about monetisation then you don't need advice... do whatever makes you happy and hope for the best!

Another advice would be asking permission to the developer of the game or look if they have a content creator program,. Believe me, not every game developer want to see their game on YouTube and if they don't like you... they can easily bring your channel down
Thanks a lot for the advice, thinking about what you said i may try the more informational/helpful route and create videos to help people get a good start in the game etc. Tips and Tricks videos seem to be very popular for new releases. I don't know if this would be a good idea but i may try and incorporate something like a "news report" basically updating my viewers on the development of the games that i would be interested in playing and making videos about. I think the tips and tricks stuff will be very good for The Division 2 since its a looter shooter but something like best upgrades for weapons and accessories on Metro Exodus might go down well too.

RuuD

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Show your face in the corner of the recording and record voiceover throughout. (If you ever plan for monestisation)
I'm hoping to get a facecam in

the_drifting_dad

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have not experience with gaming channels, but I think choosing a new game, trying to work with the creator of the game, and showing your face are all good things. Also make sure you read up on tagging, titling, description, and thumbnails. I would also think a consistent upload schedule could really help in such a saturated genre.

RuuD

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I have not experience with gaming channels, but I think choosing a new game, trying to work with the creator of the game, and showing your face are all good things. Also make sure you read up on tagging, titling, description, and thumbnails. I would also think a consistent upload schedule could really help in such a saturated genre.
Thanks for the advice pal. I will be doing a lot of research about the SEO stuff. I know its vital to get your videos ranked as high as possible so ill definitely look into it and all the techniques you can use. I got TubeBuddy and VidIQ setup to help me out as well. They seem like good tools.

the_drifting_dad

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the advice pal. I will be doing a lot of research about the SEO stuff. I know its vital to get your videos ranked as high as possible so ill definitely look into it and all the techniques you can use. I got TubeBuddy and VidIQ setup to help me out as well. They seem like good tools.
TubeBuddy is great for making thumbnails, I use rapidtags.io for my tags, but will also add some of my own. I keep all of my descriptions in similar format as well, it really saves time when uploading. What are you using to edit? Editing your videos will make a huge difference in engagement

Reactions: RuuD and tahlia