Adding Tags Of Other Popular Niche Channel Names To Your Videos

pioneer1

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hi all,

I was watching a video now and I saw that the channel used all the most popular related channel names as tags. Is that not again Youtube TOS?

This is ridiculous because it is not related to the video at all. Just all the most popular YouTube channel names.

Have a look at the attached screenshot.

tags.png

Last edited:

GucciCarry

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It is against youtube TOS indeed. It's messing with metadata.

Reactions: pioneer1

georgia grace

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
not only against the TOS but quite sketchy as well :p focusing on building your own brand instead of leeching against other big names is the better way to go i'd say

pioneer1

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
It is against youtube TOS indeed. It's messing with metadata.
I agree

not only against the TOS but quite sketchy as well :p focusing on building your own brand instead of leeching against other big names is the better way to go i'd say
Amazing what people get up too. All of that channel videos on that channel have got popular Youtube channel tags. :)

The dark side ... lol

Sin B

2017 blows
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yeah it's against the rules, and most get away with it until people start looking. A while back there was this "hacker" group that was digging up a bunch of high profile videos and low/mid profile videos from all kinds of creators and getting them taken down via a "mass" report hack which made YouTube have to look at the complaint and lo and behold... they too saw the problem with the videos.

I've only used a bigger channel's name in one video or maybe two, but because I actually mention them in the video to some extent, it's kinda a cheeky asspull method but the tags are relevant to the video at that point.

pioneer1

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Yeah it's against the rules, and most get away with it until people start looking. A while back there was this "hacker" group that was digging up a bunch of high profile videos and low/mid profile videos from all kinds of creators and getting them taken down via a "mass" report hack which made YouTube have to look at the complaint and lo and behold... they too saw the problem with the videos.

I've only used a bigger channel's name in one video or maybe two, but because I actually mention them in the video to some extent, it's kinda a cheeky asspull method but the tags are relevant to the video at that point.
Wow, that is very interesting. I guess if you are talking about the channel or mentioning it like you said in the video then it makes sense to put that channel name in the tags.

Sin B

2017 blows
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Wow, that is very interesting. I guess if you are talking about the channel or mentioning it like you said in the video then it makes sense to put that channel name in the tags.
Yeah, it's kinda the "clickbait" of the tags world, lol. Can't accuse you for faking tags if you brought it up in the video... even if it was brief. Like me I'm a gamer I play a game I'm not going to be shouting the game's name the whole video, but it's still in the tags (same with everyone else) so to me it's the same logic, brief but to the point!

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Misleading metadata
Metadata refers to any and all additional information provided on a video. This includes the title, description, tags, annotations, and thumbnail. The reason we have metadata is so that you can add additional contextual information to your videos. Please do not use these features to game or trick our search algorithms. All metadata should be representative of the content contained in your video. Among other things, metadata added in an attempt to game search algorithms will lead to the removal of your video and a strike against your account.

Source: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2801973?hl=en

Tomba

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Hey!

This is a really interesting topic and I have done some research regarding this matter.

So what I've come up with is that you can't mass tag your videos with random big YouTubers because that's against the ToS.

But IF the bigger YouTuber is relevant to your channel and you don't tag more than two channels it won't harm your channel.

And is a legitimate way of getting your video out there.

So just remember don't go out of your channel niche area and don't go overboard and your channel will be just fine!

Hopefully I could help!

Regards
The refrigerator[DOUBLEPOST=1479925792,1479925657][/DOUBLEPOST]
Misleading metadata
Metadata refers to any and all additional information provided on a video. This includes the title, description, tags, annotations, and thumbnail. The reason we have metadata is so that you can add additional contextual information to your videos. Please do not use these features to game or trick our search algorithms. All metadata should be representative of the content contained in your video. Among other things, metadata added in an attempt to game search algorithms will lead to the removal of your video and a strike against your account.

Source:
Hey there we go, so just like that but you're allowed to tag if the niches are related but not go overboard with it.

Regards

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
But IF the bigger YouTuber is relevant to your channel and you don't tag more than two channels it won't harm your channel.

I disagree. :) The only channel name a creator should be tagging is his/her own (regardless of niche).

In the above example, those big channels have grounds to flag the video in question as per the TOS that I quoted above. Channels get terminated for this all the time. Let's not give out bad advice to YTtalkers. :)