A subs boost tactic for newbies like me - nearly at 100 now

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi YouYubers!

This might be a good post for people below 100 subs like myself.

I have been on YouTube for just over 10 weeks now and I am up to 87 subs, however I got 20 of them yesterday!

How did I get 20 subs yesterday? I was the first "smart" comment on a Gary Vee video. Most people who get the notification when a huge channel adds a new video says something like "I'm first" or "1" or some other silly comment. I left a heartfelt comment around how his channel inspired me to get started and I got 20 subs from people checking out my channel via the comments.

Anybody else done this? If not it's worth being an early commentator on a big YouTubers video and leaving a smart comment. I'll be making an effort to do this more often.

Thanks,
Darren

Reactions: 6StringMadMan

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
I've been binge watching Gary Vee over the last couple of weeks. He's super-entertaining and speaks a lot of sense.

Leaving comments on bigger channels is a good tactic if your comment is smart and meaningful, which your's evidently is. Remember though, the subs will soon unsubscribe if you are not putting out great content that is engaging...so there is no point leaving comments if you are not also consistently producing good content.

I checked out your channel a couple of days ago by the way after seeing another comment you made. Nice content, and I LOVE your channel art. Did you do that yourself?

Reactions: Darren Taylor

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
it's worth being an early commentator on a big YouTubers video and leaving a smart comment.
Absolutely true :) Though you might not always see explosive results as yours. About 2 days ago I left a comment on a J-vlogger video that I've been following for years and it already has 1,5K thumbs ups! However, I haven't seen any subscriber growth from that. That wasn't my aim from the start, so I don't really care about that (what I care about is that the Youtuber actually responded <3 ). But just to keep people a heads up that it won't always be bulls eye.

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've been binge watching Gary Vee over the last couple of weeks. He's super-entertaining and speaks a lot of sense.

Leaving comments on bigger channels is a good tactic if your comment is smart and meaningful, which your's evidently is. Remember though, the subs will soon unsubscribe if you are not putting out great content that is engaging...so there is no point leaving comments if you are not also consistently producing good content.

I checked out your channel a couple of days ago by the way after seeing another comment you made. Nice content, and I LOVE your channel art. Did you do that yourself?
Thanks! You're right about the quality of content, if it's not up to scratch and consistent, people will unsub.

I did indeed create the channel art myself. I'm no Photoshop expert, but I picked up just enough to cut images out and add borders etc.

Loving the look and feel of your videos by the way. Really high quality and epic looking shots! And I just noticed your "subscribe to newsletter" link within your social icons. That's a good tactic I haven't thought of![DOUBLEPOST=1509638500,1509623248][/DOUBLEPOST]
Absolutely true :) Though you might not always see explosive results as yours. About 2 days ago I left a comment on a J-vlogger video that I've been following for years and it already has 1,5K thumbs ups! However, I haven't seen any subscriber growth from that. That wasn't my aim from the start, so I don't really care about that (what I care about is that the Youtuber actually responded <3 ). But just to keep people a heads up that it won't always be bulls eye.
It's always good to keep active in the community! PS - how are you promoting your channel? you've got a good number of subs for a newbie :)

Reactions: Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
Loving the look and feel of your videos by the way. Really high quality and epic looking shots! And I just noticed your "subscribe to newsletter" link within your social icons. That's a good tactic I haven't thought of!
Thanks. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my channel icon to appear in that link, the same way that the Twitter and Facebook icons appear... other channels do it, I'm not sure how!

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I definitely believe that well timed sincere comments can bring views to your own channel.
You can also comment on the top comment aswell which adds a little extra.

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my channel icon to appear in that link, the same way that the Twitter and Facebook icons appear... other channels do it, I'm not sure how!
I believe YouTube pulls this from the favicon within your website. You website doesn't have a favicon at the moment, so it reverts to the globe symbol. (I am assuming you know what a favicon is, but if not, it's the little icon that you see in the tab within your browser when on a webpage. e.g. when you're on Twitter, you'll see the little Twitter blue bird icon in the browser tab next to the page title in the tab)

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
I believe YouTube pulls this from the favicon within your website. You website doesn't have a favicon at the moment, so it reverts to the globe symbol.
Thanks. I had never heard of a Favicon before...but I should be able to work it out from your post.

Cheers!

Loki Doki

Gaming Nerd and SEO Guru
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
it can be a useful idea. but i would like to add an edit to your post

"however, do not spam comments advertising your channel, leave friendly, useful comments on others peoples videos and don't use it as a place to purely advertise your channel"

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
it can be a useful idea. but i would like to add an edit to your post

"however, do not spam comments advertising your channel, leave friendly, useful comments on others peoples videos and don't use it as a place to purely advertise your channel"
100% agree. Never spam, always add value and don't promote. If people find your comment relevant or appealing, they'll check out your channel anyway.