A Small But Helpful Tip When Designing Thumbnails

WalrusTash

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Have you ever thought to yourself will my thumbnail pop alongside the hundreds upon hundreds of thumbnails that are shown on YouTube?

Well this quick tip which you can utilize even before publishing, this is a thing that I started to do to see my thumbnails will really outshine among a collage of other thumbnails.

What I do is during the production of my thumbnail I test it out by print-screening your bog-standard YouTube homepage and in your "recommended for you" tab - I replace one of these thumbnails with my own by overlapping them in Photoshop (any editor should be able to do this) and then I do a comparison with all the other thumbnails on display and then mentally think...

"Is this drawing in my audience enough?"
"Does it give enough information before even clicking the video?"
"Is it clearly showing off my video or is it too busy?"

- A quick screen-cap of me placing thumbnails using this quick thinking method (Fallout 4 preview for example)

And that is it, a small but very handy tip to see if your thumbnails are really popping against the other multiple thumbnails on YouTube! I hope this could be of some help to those especially those like me who are really testing the waters on their new channel design.

Also! If you cut out carefully the time portion of the thumbnail out it gives you a nice indication of the blind spot which is the time-stamp and if it intrudes your thumbnail designs!

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Nifty trick! : D I tend to forget about the time stamp part and end up redoing it.. : P This might help me remember it! ^_^