• Please note that all milestone posts must not be of a promotional nature and must conform to the Milestones Forum Rules. All "almost" and "nearly" milestone threads are deleted.

5000 Minutes of Watch Time in Three Days!

Rhody Seth

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician
I'm very pleased with the success of my most recent video. I filmed a winter backpacking video that ended up being my longest video to date at just over 16 minutes. I posted it on Friday morning and shared it on my various message boards and groups. It has far exceeded anything I had promoted before - it quickly become my second most viewed video and more importantly it's already my most watched video as I just broke 5000 minutes of watch time! The most gratifying aspect is that the average watch time for this video is 7:23 minutes which is far longer than anything else I've put out.

There are a couple reasons that I think this video has done so well:
  • I was hiking with a friend so it wasn't just shots of me nor was it just me chatting with the camera. Being able to interact with another person made it much more engaging.
  • The nature of the content (hammock camping in single digit temps) is more "extreme" than most of my fare and likely peaked people's curiosity
  • I tried hard to create a title/thumbnail that was engaging. I think my title succeeded in being truthful to the content but still getting people's attention
  • I made a real effort to incorporate different types of shots and styles, setting the actual hiking to music in montage fashion while relying on chitchat/narration during the portion of the video at the campsite
So anyway, yeah, I'm really happy with how the video came out and the reception it has received. It's gotten me 9 new subs and now I'm 8 away from 100! If you're interested in seeing the video here's the link:

cy's escapes

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Congrats man. I've already watched it, but echo your sentiments. I do think this is one of your most well polished videos and the production quality / editing has definitely taken a step up, which is no easy feat in those conditions. I do think you having your friend there was a nice touch and kept me engaged.

You'll hit 100 subs in no time, and 5000 watch minutes is awesome!

Reactions: Rhody Seth

BuildALot Acres

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Congrats man that’s awesome. Milestones like that make it feel like all the work is worth it! I liked the video. Nicely done! I love the White Mountains, used to go every year.

Last edited:

Gediphoto

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Holy crap dude! Congrats!! I’m hoping to get more watch time when I can go out camping and photographing too! Right now my watch time sucks, my videos are being viewed but they are like 3 mins long