1 Million Subscribers - How To Become A YouTube Sensation! (THE GUIDE!!)

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I think part of the confusion might be that the tutorial covers a lot of helpful topics, but that they all can't necessarily be implemented immediately for small channels.. Technically, we all could hire a crew, but it'd hold a lot of risk; perhaps too much risk than a lot of us would be comfortable taking. I think The Piano Guys followed a similar model, and even mentioned that they went into debt making videos - shortly after, they sold the piano store they had. It makes me wonder if selling the store was just a career change, or something to help with the debt they mentioned.. Thankfully, everything seems to have worked out for them in the end, but... what if it hadn't.. =S

Finding a niche and hiring a crew both take a lot of time to sort out and prepare for. I probably wont find my niche until I'm at a size large enough to hire some help (if I ever even get there...). I'm actually glad of the slow start that YouTube has because it gives me plenty of time to experiment, fail, try again, etc...without being too embarrassed. I'd imagine that most of this tutorial is best suited for medium-sized channels with a few thousand subscribers. A lot of us tiny folks are still trying to figure out what we're doing. If I had 4k-ish subscribers, then by all means I'd pay someone to help me produce and record a song that's better quality...But until then, my silly keyboard arrangements, chunky microphone recordings, and mixing attempts will have to make do..

I do like all the info about thumbnails, Adwords, Collaborations, and his points about Social Media. I think I might make a website! I can see it helping a lot with what I've been working on.

Reactions: instagamrr

Kijana

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Calling me haughty because I have a different opinion isn't constructive or valid. You really attacked the credibility of his work when you said, "Is there any YOU left in your YOUtube?" and I don't think that was fair. If anything, it was quite haughty. But I prefer to refrain from personal attacks.
Girl. Wtf xD Please calm dafuq down. You're in this entire thread putting down people that see flaws in a youtube guide. The guide has flaws. Chill.

Reactions: Science Scenes

Video Cranker

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to not limit your demographic or specifically, your target audience.
I argue you limit your demographic by using raunchy, hyper-sexualized thumbs. Which is fine if that's what you're going for but it seems to be in complete contradiction to the point you're making. I wouldn't watch your videos simply because of that, and channels like yours are the ones that I shield my children from. That's not a slam on you or what you're trying to do, but I'm just making a point that you are turning off a substantial % of viewers while trying to entice a certain other segment by doing so.

Rhodri Powell

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Just had a quick skim through this article and loved it! Definitely going to save this page for later and have a thorough read through!!

Razer

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Had a quick read through your guide. Some brilliant and really really useful tips, thank you for sharing!

Panton

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Oh my god that was a lot to read, i'm surprise i was able to read all of it. Everything there is really great tips. It's not really cliched and can help out channels a lot. But one thing i must ask is how are you going to hire people if your broke?

PoorManMods

Reaction score
Another thing you can do to help promote your channel without people realizing that you are doing it is comment on EVERY VIDEO that you watch. Don't say like "hey come check out my channel" try to say something that will created a buzz, or a conversation, or even something controversial. People will most likely click on your name to see what you are about. And if you can't think of something buzz worthy, just say something nice! You never know who may be scrolling through the comments and find your name or icon interesting

XTheViceX

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for taking the time to write this up. It has some useful pieces of information in there. I wouldn't say there is a whole lot a small channel like me could benefit from, but seeing it from a different viewpoint has its benefits :)

Ninja

Professional Funny Guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
Good article, and there are definitely some nuggets to take away from it but there are also a lot of potential dangers for new Youtubers in the post as well. Being one myself, I disagreed with about half of what you wrote. No "newtuber" is going to have the means to hire a team right out of the gate, or even at 1000 subs, nor should they really. Also I reckon there are very, very few professionals that are going to want to work for such a small channel no matter what commission you offer; it's just not worth their time.

You have three writers, a voice over artist, and now you're looking for a video editor? I mean, is there anything of YOU in YOUR channel? Why don't the 5 of them just leave you and start their own channel and make 100% of the money if they're doing all the work anyway. I take pride that I do absolutely everything for my tiny channel and each new subscriber I earn increases that feeling. My brother's channel has almost 900,000 subscribers and it's just him and his girlfriend. You simply do not need a team of employees.

I also think it's very easy to make at least one high quality, tightly edited video each day because I do that. I've received more than a few compliments and encouragements about the quality of my videos. There are also myriad channels that put out 3 high quality, edited videos a day and have achieved success. More videos doesn't necessarily mean low quality.

I also disagree about what you say about thumbnails and social media, but we'll leave it at that :)
Having an entire staff making your videos for you does sound a bit ridiculous. It would be reasonable for a channel like Corridor Digital or Rocket Jump to have something like that. But your channel, although would require a larger amount of effort, doesn't need 7 people on the job. The editing could be done in less time that the video is itself. The idea behind Youtube is a single person putting themselves and their work out there, not having companies do that job.