YT social media separate from personal?

Merlina Rodas

I've Got It
Reaction score
Hey guys, so eversince I created my channel (health and fitness) I have been using my personal Instagram as my channel account. I did create a separate Twitter account just because on Twitter I do post a few things that are more personal and I've always used it more to chat and have fun with friends...

For instagram: The reason I did this is that I never really post anything too personal and most of my posts are related to health and fitness anyways... regardless I'm wondering whether I should separate my accounts and create a new one or just carry-on with this one. I don't really want to start all over with a new account but at the same time i've been told a few times that my personal instagram account should be separate from my YouTube instagram account.

Do you guys think that even though I don't really post anything too "personal" that I should have a separate one? How do you do your social media?

Nicholas Thing

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys, so eversince I created my channel (health and fitness) I have been using my personal Instagram as my channel account. I did create a separate Twitter account just because on Twitter I do post a few things that are more personal and I've always used it more to chat and have fun with friends...

For instagram: The reason I did this is that I never really post anything too personal and most of my posts are related to health and fitness anyways... regardless I'm wondering whether I should separate my accounts and create a new one or just carry-on with this one. I don't really want to start all over with a new account but at the same time i've been told a few times that my personal instagram account should be separate from my YouTube instagram account.

Do you guys think that even though I don't really post anything too "personal" that I should have a separate one? How do you do your social media?
I think it's important to seperate these two, because your friends who follow your instagram for you as a person maybe don't want the stuff you're posting as your YT channel, if you get what I mean. So if I were you I should seperate those two.

Sladee

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think it depends on the person. I feel like I can share almost anything about my life so I'm comfortable with making my "professional" account also my personal one. If you really want to keep your on camera personality/brand separate, then consider making different accounts. Also your friends my not want to see all your promotions on the business accounts.

But honestly, business accounts are really hard to promote. People are more secure when they know there is one person behind your account, but if you make a professional account seem personal by posting often and not just flushing your posts with promotions, then you should be fine.
-- Goodluck! :)

Reactions: Merlina Rodas

MuttonRoller

Reaction score
I'll use myself as an example. I tried to separate the YouTube thing from personal but I feel that my viewers wanted to get to know me personally. When I would post on the YT instagram, it would just be hashtags that would get the traffic in. Meanwhile, when I posted similar things on my personal, my friends and family who didn't know I made videos checked it out.

Reactions: AllofTheAbove

Merlina Rodas

I've Got It
Reaction score
I'll use myself as an example. I tried to separate the YouTube thing from personal but I feel that my viewers wanted to get to know me personally. When I would post on the YT instagram, it would just be hashtags that would get the traffic in. Meanwhile, when I posted similar things on my personal, my friends and family who didn't know I made videos checked it out.
Ok, my issue is simiar to this... If i were to make a separate account, I wouldn't be posting professionally or constantly promoting, I would still keep it as personal as possible, but my biggest concern is, I don't really want some of my friends finding my YT account lol so I don't promote on my instagram AT ALL, which I would like to do once in a while

I'm just trying to figure out how to make my "business" account without instagram recommending my facebook friends or something. It seems that now that facebook and instagram are the same company, even if i use a different email or don't like the accounts, it automatically suggests my account to people. Frustrating! Facebook is too smart for it's own good haha

Reactions: AllofTheAbove

AllofTheAbove

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Reviewer
My way around this, Merlina, was to start off each facebook with completely separate e-mails, one with my youtube personality name, and only inviting people to it who I only knew through other social media. I haven't had any "small world" problems of people from other sm knowing anyone I know irl.

I, too, don't want certain people finding my yt channel or it's associated social media (I had a couple scares with these people finding my real ones, ended up temporarily disabling those, big headache.Idk if that's why you also don't want them finding your YT stuff, but that's largely the reason I don't have a channel name that uses my real name...mom just had to be creative and give me a very rare name that if I used it for YT, I'd be found by those same people -_-...)

Anyway, Idk if you've resolved this issue for yourself, but that's what I did. Facebook didn't recommend anyone I knew irl for my YT facebook/social media. Anyone it had reccomended irl, though, I would have just blocked. Hth.

Also, sorry for the wall of text.

Julia and Claire

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
We have separate personal and youtube instagrams. It just makes it more professional, and most of our posts are related to youtube.

Julia and Claire

Roman Ryder

I've Got It
Reaction score
I went with a professional account across all of the social media sites. The only thing that is personal is my Facebook account and I still allow people to follow that. I also do a "call to action" post on my personal account when my new video goes up each week. I figure if they're really my friends, they would want to support me.