Youtube's rules with music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

epiem

Achieve. Create. Inspire.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I apologize. I've had a bad day. Dealing with the suicide of a good friend.

I was defensive though, because it appeared as though you were being combative. The large type. The tone. lol I don't know. I just felt the need to recoil. I usually don't do that. But (while not an expert) I feel I can offer valid advice. That's all it is too. Advice.

I know all of this because I've researched it extensively. I'm also OCD... and have spent way too many a night obsessing over this (and a whole host of other crap). lol

You are definitely right though.

No matter what people tell you, even if the person has done their research, it's best to talk to a lawyer. We all know one. Call 'em. Facebook 'em. Something. Speak with someone with esq. after their name.

Advice offered here, in an unofficial forum, is take at your own risk.

Copyright law is interesting, because of how fluid the subject is. It's quite static. Some cases are open and shut, and other, almost identical cases aren't so easy to read.

Definitely talk to a lawyer though. Always a good decision.

Once again, I apologize for being abrasive. I'm off to the liquor cabinet for a stiff drink.
Sorry to hear about your friend!

::

No worries. It happens. I just wanted to be clear and concise.
I edited it for clarity and to take out the "harsh" tone.

Copyright is so nasty. I try to stay away from things even if it "may" be fair use. It's just too much of a slippery slope.
Especially how the DMCA is cracking down on anything and everything out there.

I don't want to get caught in the crossfire, even if I WAS in the right!

Plus, YouTube WILL remove your video and give you a strike regardless if it is a "Grey" area, simply to avoid annoyance of a 3rd party.

This particular thing happened when some random person claimed copyright on Video Copilots Pro Scores.
YouTube removed and threw out strikes against MANY people who had used the Pro Scores music in their videos.
Completely Royalty free music, yet some random person caused a ruckus.
There are still people out there with strikes on their accounts for that. Which is wack.

YouTube honestly DOES NOT CARE. They save their own a**.

I just want people to be aware that they may be putting their hard work in danger by "thinking" they understand something they don't.
Getting professional advice is always the best route.

Most lawyers even offer a free consultation.

Sorry if I was abrasive. I did not mean to be.
#FirstWorldProblems

Reactions: stratafm

stratafm

Ryan of the WWW
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Vlogger, Ranter
Sorry to hear about your friend!

::

No worries. It happens. I just wanted to be clear and concise.
I edited it for clarity and to take out the "harsh" tone.

Copyright is so nasty. I try to stay away from things even if it "may" be fair use. It's just too much of a slippery slope.
Especially how the DMCA is cracking down on anything and everything out there.

I don't want to get caught in the crossfire, even if I WAS in the right!

Plus, YouTube WILL remove your video and give you a strike regardless if it is a "Grey" area, simply to avoid annoyance of a 3rd party.

This particular thing happened when some random person claimed copyright on Video Copilots Pro Scores.
YouTube removed and threw out strikes against MANY people who had used the Pro Scores music in their videos.
Completely Royalty free music, yet some random person caused a ruckus.
There are still people out there with strikes on their accounts for that. Which is wack.

YouTube honestly DOES NOT CARE. They save their own a**.

I just want people to be aware that they may be putting their hard work in danger by "thinking" they understand something they don't.
Getting professional advice is always the best route.

Most lawyers even offer a free consultation.

Sorry if I was abrasive. I did not mean to be.
#FirstWorldProblems
Thank you.

Yeah, I'm going to go edit mine too. I feel like a class-a turd.

You are right though. YouTube certainly does not give two craps, and anything dealing with copyright and fair use is a slippery slope. Too slippery.

And definitely talk to a lawyer. lol

Reactions: epiem

JosPlays

Just being AWESOME
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I apologize. I've had a bad day. Dealing with the suicide of a good friend. Not an excuse... but I've been on edge...

I was defensive though, because it appeared as though you were being combative. The large type. The tone. lol I don't know. I just felt the need to recoil. I usually don't do that. But (while not an expert) I feel I can offer valid advice. That's all it is too. Advice.

I know all of this because I've researched it extensively. I've also worked in radio production rooms voicing and piecing together spots, held on air positions, and worked in radio sales writing copy. I've seen/dealt with copyright issues for quite some time.

I'm also OCD... and have spent way too many a night obsessing over this (and a whole host of other crap). lol

You are definitely right though.

No matter what people tell you, even if the person has done their research, it's best to talk to a lawyer. We all know one. Call 'em. Facebook 'em. Something. Speak with someone with esq. after their name.

Advice offered here, in an unofficial forum, is take at your own risk.

Copyright law is interesting, because of how fluid the subject is. It's quite static. Some cases are open and shut, and other, almost identical cases aren't so easy to read.

Definitely talk to a lawyer though. Always a good decision.

Once again, I apologize for being abrasive. I'm off to the liquor cabinet for a stiff drink.
Everything you put on the internet is at own risk. It can be used against you at any time like that muslim film. Still think copyright law sucks a**.

Sorry to hear about your good friend. Hope everything is going ok with you.

That Genre

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Lots of non-copyright/royalty free music on my channel which you can safely use in any video! hope i have helped

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Lots of non-copyright/royalty free music on my channel which you can safely use in any video! hope i have helped
Hi @That Genre

I'm closing this. The thread is from 2012. Please don't bump very old threads - It is likely that some of the people are no longer active here and it is very confusing for those who are.

Also please read the forum rules about self-promotion: YTtalk Rules and Guidelines

In your case, you are allowed 1 thread only in the services forum ( http://yttalk.com/forums/services.87/ ) to offer your music services. You can also reply to recent threads (let's say less than a month old) in the requests forum of people specifically asking for your kind of music. Requests forum --> http://yttalk.com/forums/requests.86/

Other than that, the only self-promotion allowed here is in the videos and channels sub-forum ( http://yttalk.com/forums/videos-channels.9/ ) for which you will need to purchase VIP or "video access" with some virtual YTtalk cash. I recommend VIP because that will allow you to put a video in your sig.

More info about VIP here --> VIP Membership Info

Reactions: Kath
Status
Not open for further replies.