Youtube's Restricted Mode is garbage

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
My school has a lot of censors and blocks in place on its wifi connection, which includes automatically having Youtube's restricted mode forced and enabled on all of the school student accounts.
I decided to take a browse through a number of channels I frequent and even some random ones, and they're all completely ransacked.
There are about 2 or 3 videos available on channels that have 10s of videos, it's ridiculous. Even videos that are 'family friendly' are just completely blocked.

Parents: Don't put restricted mode on your child's account. Instead, actually be a goddamn parent and teach your kid about the internet.

Reactions: PhysicsFreak101

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I agree. Any parent that thinks YouTube is a substitute needs to take a step back and realize what their kids may or may not be watching. There's so much pressure on YouTube and YouTubers to be family friendly and think of the children, when parents should really be the ones thinking of their own children. I'm not even sure how Restricted mode picks its videos. It's gotta be a bot. YouTube barely manually reviews monetization, let alone their Restricted section.

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Parents: Don't put restricted mode on your child's account. Instead, actually be a goddamn parent and teach your kid about the internet.
Well said ! tell those lazy mommas an poppas lol.

Separately re censorship - you might as well get used to it now. In a few more years most of the internet will likely be so censored it won't be worth bothering with for anybody.

PhysicsFreak101

What a Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yeah, it gets really annoying when your own school's instructional videos get blocked, and the teacher has to figure out how to share them with the students, but then by the time he finds out about Vimeo, it's only three days from the end of the semester and you have to finish the week-long project in that time along with all the other stuff you have to do. Don't you hate it when that happens? XD

But in all seriousness, most of the videos blocked by the system are fine. In fact, over 2/3rds of the music I listen to is blocked, and all of it has no swearing or sexual references, so I don't know why it's blocked. Youtube, get your s**t together.

BamaGuyRTR

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Kids today think they're entitled to everything. The internet has spoiled them. You're not in school to browse YouTube. Do that at home. Good to see schools are actually forcing kids to look away from their phones and tablets.

Parents today are not doing enough to make sure their kids aren't watching garbage. Consoles, computers, tablets are all babysitters now. It's pathetic. If parents are watching over their kids internet use, good for them.

PhysicsFreak101

What a Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Kids today think they're entitled to everything. The internet has spoiled them. You're not in school to browse YouTube. Do that at home. Good to see schools are actually forcing kids to look away from their phones and tablets.

Parents today are not doing enough to make sure their kids aren't watching garbage. Consoles, computers, tablets are all babysitters now. It's pathetic. If parents are watching over their kids internet use, good for them.
We aren't saying that we want to watch pewdiepie in school, we are saying that we want to watch videos that are approved or posted by the school. Youtube is blocking videos that are literally posted by schools, so we can't get our work done. And in my school's case, I pry spend around 50% of my time at school doing literally nothing, because I have nothing to do. I have the schoolwork for the whole week done in the first 1-2 days, and I'm left with nothing to do, so most of the time I either listen to music, browse yttalk, or go hide upstairs and take a nap. I agree that there should be a restricted mode, but if there is one, then it shouldn't be absolute garbage like the current one is.

Reactions: Scootakip [Lana]

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
At least it’s not blocked entirely. My high school didn’t have youtube access or even internet. Mostly because it wasn’t invented yet

Reactions: videoeditgr

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
and I'm left with nothing to do, so most of the time I either listen to music, browse yttalk, or go hide upstairs and take a nap
No library?
No sports spots?
No band?
No activity groups?
Not even a "gang"?
No dance?
No romance?

i could edit this post and add activities forever...

That is sad from a perspective.