Youtube's fight against "fake news"

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru

Extract of article:

In March, the Google News Initiative (GNI) kicked off with the goal of helping journalism thrive in the digital age. Today, we’re announcing steps we’re taking with the GNI to support the future of news in online video, and product features we’ve been working on to improve the news experience on YouTube.

For detailed information about the steps YouTube are taking (including $25 million of funding to legitimate news organisations), see the official blog post: https://youtube.googleblog.com/2018/07/building-better-news-experience-on.html

Reactions: videoeditgr

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I wonder how they decide what a "legitimate news organization" is?? :eek: I have to take news stories with a hefty grain of salt because of all the biases and selective editing that they do. :/

I think it can be a sensitive issue, so I'm glad YouTube is aware of it and trying to do something! ^_^ But I hope corruption and some form of "news censoring" doesn't creep in....

Reactions: Courtney Candice

Alexis Claudio Music

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Aren't most of the news "exaggerated". I think they make things seem more out of control than what they are. I mean don't get me wrong, some news are definitely true but I just think sometimes they are not 100% truthful.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
...........Today we are committing $25M to a YouTube-specific investment:

• Expertise. We’re establishing a working group with news organizations and experts from around the world to help us develop new product features, improve the news experience on YouTube, and tackle emerging challenges. News organizations including Vox Media, Jovem Pan, and India Today......................
and the winner is..... three multimillion subscriber channels??? hahaha! Whatever happens to the world... stays to ...Youtube!

I understand that Youtube wants to drive people to it's services, but, there are news that indeed have to pe presented live and accurate from the field while they happen and breaking news that cannot be transformed into a decent video within a few minutes without proper research, material, images, graphics and similar I believe...

:)