YouTube's Content ID statistics

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
In its latest How Google Fights Piracy report, Google gave an under-the-hood look at numbers for YouTube’s copyright infringement-busting Content ID system, introduced back in 2007.

Newly revealed stats include the fact that through Content ID, YouTube has paid out more than $3 billion in ad revenue to content creators, up from $1 billion in 2014, and $2 billion in 2016. The report also revealed that, to date, Google has invested $100 million in Content ID’s staffing and digital infrastructure, up from $60 million in 2016.

More new numbers: YouTube has more than 9,000 partners using Content ID to monetize their content, and those partners include major network broadcasters, movie studios, music publishers, and record labels. Combined, they’ve boosted Content ID’s number of active reference files up to 80 million-plus.

Content ID’s process works like this: If copyrighted content is uploaded by someone who is not the rights holder, YouTube will contact the copyright holder, who can then choose to either do nothing, have the content pulled down, or have it left up and collect any ad revenues associated with the clip.

Source / rest of article: https://www.tubefilter.com/2018/11/07/youtube-payouts-content-id/

Link to report (pdf): https://www.blog.google/documents/25/GO806_Google_FightsPiracy_eReader_final.pdf

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
what is a youtube partner? a channel that is moneytised?

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
what is a youtube partner? a channel that is moneytised?
I think they are referring to a different kind of YouTube partner. I know that a lot of digital music distributors (i.e. Distrokid, CD Baby, etc...) have access to submitting music to Youtube's Content ID. Currently, I know DistroKid charges artists money to have their music submitted to CID, so I don't bother with it. As someone who is part of the YouTube partner's program, I don't have access to CID by myself...I'd have to go through a digital distributor where they'd take a cut of whatever or charge a fee. I'd imagine some of the really big YouTubers might have access to CID without a digital distributor, though!

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have ContentID and I am happy to be part of that statistic, even if my numbers are not that impressive. Just over 650 re-uploads, some materials used by big media outlets without permission, several overlaps, small scandals etc...

But on the other hand it gave signals to the people who were re-uploading my videos that I can find them, so most of them stopped over time.

I have probably the lightest version of ContentID though. I can't claim manually videos, neither I can do sound recording or composition matches, but I needed it for visuals only anyway.

I also have access to Facebook's ContentID, (Rights manager, also includes Instagram checks), where people seem to care less about copyright, even if Facebook's enforcement of Copyright is quite more strict. They close and ban Facebook accounts and their group pages for less strikes.

Anyway even if Facebook's support is faster to react, YouTube ContentID is lightyears ahead of Facebook Rights manager and I still wait for many months for Facebook to implement retroactive checks. even if they hinted they are working on this feature and once I experienced it by a bug in their system.[DOUBLEPOST=1541732078,1541731698][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think they are referring to a different kind of YouTube partner. I know that a lot of digital music distributors (i.e. Distrokid, CD Baby, etc...) have access to submitting music to Youtube's Content ID. Currently, I know DistroKid charges artists money to have their music submitted to CID, so I don't bother with it. As someone who is part of the YouTube partner's program, I don't have access to CID by myself...I'd have to go through a digital distributor where they'd take a cut of whatever or charge a fee. I'd imagine some of the really big YouTubers might have access to CID without a digital distributor, though!
You can be a partner and have access ContentID, but also you can have ContentID without being a partner and just collect revenue from the so called fan uploads (user generated content). Many music labels are just using the ConentID, since maintaining YouTube channel is much more hassle. I am not a big YouTuber (and wasn't when I got the ContentID), but I have ContentID. As I wrote above you can have ContentID even without YouTube channel.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
An offtopic side note.

Reading the numbers, where the biggest investment is content ID itself, it is easy to understand why Youtube don't bother on smaller channels and creators. And this way seems kind of logic.

:)