Guru
In her final message of 2019, Susan Wojcicki highlights three key priorities:

Supporting creator and artist success
Improving communication and engagement
Living up to our responsibility

Here it is in blog format:

and here it is in video format:

Comments on the above video

That video got a LOT of downvotes and reading some of the comments, people aren't very happy with Youtube at the moment lol!

Thoughts?

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Yikes! Well..it would be nice if she would create a video to help clarify the new COPPA stuff, but I can understand why she isn't even going to mention it. Creator Insider mentioned there is a button to help us designate whether our channel is "for kids" or "not for kids," but that's all he said. He didn't go into any specifics. Nobody is going into specifics. YouTube even said we should contact an attorney if we are unsure. Attorneys are too expensive for most people!

After A LOT of reading, I've decided to translate it as "made specifically for kids" or "not made specifically for kids." Even tho I have a family-friendly channel that I know some kids watch, I selected "not for kids." It would be nice to have some kind of affirmation that I'm interpreting everything right, but meh...we'll see. I'd imagine they'd go after the big guys before they'd pick on an itty bitty channel like mine, so I hope I'll have plenty of time to learn the "real" definition.

I think Susan would make a good politician: she said a lot of stuff that sounds good, but never addressed the true issues that people are worried about.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
After A LOT of reading, I've decided to translate it as "made specifically for kids" or "not made specifically for kids."

Exactly. Content that is suitable for kids (ie no cursing, not adult content) doesn't mean that the content was made specifically for kids. It's the latter that is important. Having said that, it is a grey area for certain types of channels.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
The simple truth. A rule based on the feelings of a non-present third party is not a rule or a guideline at all.

The FTC defines Child-directed content as, any content that APPEALS to kids. The word Appeals, is a word that means, how someone FEELS about something. In this case the third party is hundreds of millions of kids from all walks of life and backgrounds up to the age of 12 years and 364 days old.

From a legal perspective, this mandate from the FTC is utterly unenforceable, because there is not a single lawyer on earth that can give you any guidance as to what the rule means.

YouTube tells you seek legal advice, but even if you could afford a lawyer, they are going to tell you that it is impossible for them to make any form determination based on this rule of "Child-appealing".

The only purpose of the buttons that YouTube provides is to shift the burden of responsibility of where targeted ads get shown, off of YouTube and on to the Cteators. It only serve to make us liable for what YouTube is doing.

YouTube can put all the icing and smiles in it they want, but that is what they have done. They claim that this is a rule that the FTC imposed on them, but the truth is, it was YT that came up with this solution in the settlement that YT rushed to present to the FTC in order to halt the investigation before it went to court and the judge issued subpoenas that force Google to hand over their servers and decrypt ALL of their data for the FTC to comb through with a fine tooth comb.

• Love
Reactions: SoSuperLoud