YouTubers are given the iPhone X BEFORE traditional media

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
The iPhone X hits stores this Friday (3rd November), but YouTube reviews of the new device began appearing online yesterday — a day before the embargo broke for traditional tech outlets, like The Wall Street Journal and The Verge, which annually publish iPhone reviews.

While other publishers including Wired and Axios were able to share reviews of the device yesterday, New York Magazine notes that Apple looks to have given YouTube creators a leg-up for the first time in iPhone launch history.

Tech review channels who were given an early look at the device include Soldier Knows Best, who counts 779,000 subscribers (see below), BooredAtWork.com (218,000 subscribers), UrAvgConsumer (1.4 million subscribers), and TheiCollection (300,000 subscribers). While not individual creators, Fashion Magazine, Popular Science, and Highsnobiety also published previews of the iPhone X to YouTube yesterday.

Example video review by "Soldier Knows Best":

For the rest of the article and source: http://www.tubefilter.com/2017/10/31/apple-lets-youtubers-review-iphone-x/

What do you think about this? Do you think this means that Apple sees YouTube as a more important media than traditional media or is it just that they think YouTubers are more likely to give a positive review.......?!

Thoughts?

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I noticed that too, that's a pretty interesting move I feel. I don't think it's because they think YouTubers would give it a more positive review because I actually trust them to be more reliable than traditional media. I do think that Apple will have noticed that YouTube is on the climb while traditional media is declining though. Still, I don't know why they couldn't have just given out review units at the same time though, there's probably a disadvantage to it that I'm not seeing but I'm not sure really.

Reactions: Crown

zhkopec

I've Got It
Reaction score
Smart move. The audience for traditional media is dying. Better to get on board with the new media sooner rather than later.

Ask yourself if you'd rather have $100 in facebook ads or newspaper ads?

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Darn it, nobody sent them to me! Why does nobody consider the opinions of the millions of puppets in the world? Sad.

Reactions: WebSam and Crown

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hopefully more brands will recognize the influence of YouTube reviews and be willing to pay for it!

Reactions: Crown and markkaz

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It makes sense from a commercial and brand perspective. People are getting their reviews from YouTube. It's much more interactive and personal, and you can get multiple perspectives watching a handful of tech YouTubers. Influencers are disrupting the market in all traditional mediums. I love it!

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Considering you’ll likely use an iPhone ecks to use YouTube, it makes sense. One day really isn’t much and I doubt many channels share the same audience at WSJ. But you never know. Hey where’s my iPhone ecks? Musta got lost in the mail!