youtuber there live below the poverty line?

anglingdharma

Whether to be a youtuber can earn a lot of money. I've read an article that in the USA almost 70% youtuber there live below the poverty line, how do you think about this?

Funny you should post this now. Was just reading this:

"But a new study finds that the odds of striking it rich on Google-owned YouTube — or even making a modest living — are vanishingly small.
Reaching the top 3.5 per cent of YouTube's most-viewed channels — which means at least 1 million video views a month — is worth only about $15,500 to $20,500 a year in advertising revenue, "

https://www.theage.com.au/technolog...king-a-living-on-youtube-20180303-p4z2n2.html
(perhaps a mod could make this clickable as I can't post links)

[YTtalk staff added in the link]

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the same for many 'creative' industries. How many talented musicians are there and how many earn enough from their music to survive?

How many TV shows are created and never get past the 'pilot'?

I've read an article that in the USA almost 70% youtuber there live below the poverty line

Well I doubt that YouTube is their main source of income in that case. They likely have full time jobs and so unlikely they're living below the poverty line when taking into account all their income.

So what the article is probably saying is that the majority of YouTubers don't earn much money from Youtube. Well that's because the majority of YouTubers don't have big channels and don't get many views. Well that has always been the case and it's not just in the USA. Nothing really new there.

This is the reason i cant just do you tube, been saving up to upgrade my computer to staqrt doing live streams over at twitch. Seems a combination of twitch/youtube is what you need to get decent money. As long as you tube keeps letting immature fucks like paul brothers show the toxic side of youtube, the main stream media will keep using youtube to generate story's and youtube in return will continue to demonetize everyone else thanx to the 3% channels. In Spanish we have a saying "justos por pecadores" meaning "your all equally as guilty for the crimes of 1 person" wish of course is utterly bs but this is what youtube is doing...for w/e pewd/pawls/mark/jack does... we are also accomplices.

"Do your children dream of YouTube stardom? Do them a favor: Crush that ambition now." WTF? what a terrible message :(

everyone i know of with a Youtube channel starts it as a hobby in addition to school or a job, it's a fantastic creative outlet. they only dedicate themselves to it fully once they are earning enough to live off, most Youtubers create for years before "making it" (if at all) because they find it fulfilling and enjoy the community.

also i don't understand why people/media continue to talk about Adsense as if it's the main way to earn Youtube money, surely it's common knowledge that most of it comes from sponsorships, merch, etc. it would be very difficult to live off Adsense (unless you're Pewdiepie) ...

"Do your children dream of YouTube stardom? Do them a favor: Crush that ambition now." WTF? what a terrible message :(

everyone i know of with a Youtube channel starts it as a hobby in addition to school or a job, it's a fantastic creative outlet. they only dedicate themselves to it fully once they are earning enough to live off, most Youtubers create for years before "making it" (if at all) because they find it fulfilling and enjoy the community.

also i don't understand why people/media continue to talk about Adsense as if it's the main way to earn Youtube money, surely it's common knowledge that most of it comes from sponsorships, merch, etc. it would be very difficult to live off Adsense (unless you're Pewdiepie) ...
Media at its finest, see what not providing the complete information can do to miss lead the masses.It is common knowledge but they choose to ignore it.

Well I doubt that YouTube is their main source of income in that case. They likely have full time jobs and so unlikely they're living below the poverty line when taking into account all their income.

So what the article is probably saying is that the majority of YouTubers don't earn much money from Youtube. Well that's because the majority of YouTubers don't have big channels and don't get many views. Well that has always been the case and it's not just in the USA. Nothing really new there.
Most YouTubers do more than Just youtube like you just said above, even really big YouTubers like the Paul’s get money from merch sales, acting, book sales, music patron, livestreamin etc. nobody not even big YouTubers should just relie on just ad sense.

Hmmm.. I used to think that youtubers get tons of $$$ from that platform, until recently i understood that it's not that much, 1000views is 1$, meaning 10k - 10$ - 100k views = 100 dollars.Which when you build a channel and you daily upload and get constant 100k views, that's a pretty solid income for me to just rely on adsense. Comparing to my country here.. In Bulgaria, the minimal payment is 250 euro.. That's why i want to do youtube full time and quit my job here, from there on everything is easy. But until then.. I have to stay on this job and manage somehow to grow my channel with just 4h a day, able to record/edit videos.. which is nothing Q_Q feelsbadman.

Edit: The moment i start to earn atleast 20$ a day from youtube, i'm quitting my job, lmao.

$15,080 a year is minimum wage. In order to get there you'll need 15,080,000 views a year or 1,256,666 views a month or 41,315 views a day based on $1 per 1.000 views. That day figure is something I get monthly, so I myself am pretty far from the moment I would quit my dayjob (I have given up on YouTube being viable for quite some time now, I do it as a hobby only).

Back