YouTube Warns Creators They May See Subscriber Count Drops Amid Spam-Account Purge

pioneer1

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Message in Youtube dashboard

On December 13-14, 2018, you may see a noticeable decrease in your subscriber count as we remove spam from your channel. Learn more

support . google . c o m /youtube /answer/6051134?p=subscription_spam&visit_id=636804059299207250-1680415629&rd=1

variety . c o m /2018/digital/news/youtube-subscriber-drops-spam-account-purge-1203089213/

YouTube is enacting a broad purge of spam accounts over the next two days, and it’s warning creators they could see a big drop in subscribers as a result.

According to YouTube, on Dec. 13-14, creators “may see a noticeable decrease” in subscriber counts. The Google-owned video service regularly works to verify the legitimacy of accounts, and its purge of spammy and bogus users has led to steep declines in sub counts in the past.

“This should help give you confidence that the subs you do have are real fans!” YouTube said in a tweet, with the exclamation mark an apparent effort to put a positive spin on the purge.

Reactions: PhysicsFreak101

pioneer1

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I didn't see a subscriber drop at all, so that is kinda reassuring.
Me too. Did not see a drop on my 2 channels.

I think maybe they are still busy with the purge. Will be interesing to see what happens with Pewdiepie vs Tseries subscriber count.

Alexander Hoff

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Almost thought it wouldn't happen to me... but I just lost 4 subs! So not much at all, but I'm a small channel. I imagine bigger channels will lose way more subscribers.

Taz The Yorkie

Reaction score
I’ve seen people posting elsewhere that they’ve lost quite a few subs.
I haven’t lost any.
I don’t think people shouldn’t be upset if they lose some fake subs. It’s way better to have active viewers over a high sub number.
I wonder how this is affecting some of the bigger youtubers.

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I have lost a few subs as well! But that won't stop me though!
I can see why they do it too, but youtube did that on a regular basis before, why do they tell people this time? I do also see the problem that people who are subscribed and watch the channel still gets unsubscribed!

Steverd

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well I lost 20 out of 8,000, so I was happy about that.
A friend of mine lost 600 out of 2000. Wow....

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I lost about 20 out of 8,100 so not too bad.. A couple of channels I watch, one with 150k and the other with just over 200k both lost about 200 .