YouTube vs. Twitch

YouTube vs. Twitch

• Total voters

CharlieeLou

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The way I see Twitch and YouTube is like this. Twitch is live TV that is very raw, unedited and unproduced in nature. It's like watching a game of football or cricket or putting a podcast on for two hours or so. YouTube is a collection of homemade Netflix series where you are watching something created to be watched a certain way.

So, I'd say a mix of the two is good for gaming. Having a streaming schedule to break up the editing and release of more produced videos is good. Streaming will let you show off your personality in a more real way since you can't edit out things you might when going through your raw footage and the interaction from your audience will help drive the streams. The YouTube videos can then be more edited and presented as a more produced form of entertainment.

This is true. I like that streaming is very interactive and my streams seem to get way more attention than my uploaded videos! Its nice to get to know the people subscribing to me! :D

I think Twitch would be better for live streaming vs live streaming on YouTube
If you like streaming, Twitch is better at the moment. I personally stick to YouTube because I'm better off with edited videos than live streaming. And my internet is too slow for streaming anyway.
If you guys didn't know, Twitch supports video uploads just like YouTube.

Monetization-wise, YouTube is easier to begin with.
I would say that both or good but like bigattck said, getting viewers on Twitch probably isn't an immediate process. However, there are some people that will actually look through the streamers on Twitch rather than just go to the popular streamers.
My type of videos aren´t suited for twitch, So i guess I prefer youtube!

As a beginner in streaming, i seen more views on youtube than twitch. The reason behind it is because youtube has recommendations, twitch is just hiding everyone's channel so you need to find it. Hitbox is also like twitch where they hide channels and people need to look for them.
Twitch is the more popular place for live streaming. Im a small youtube gaming channel (i think weve talked about our dogs before) and i stream sometimes, but usually to youtube. I used to a long time ago stream to twitch and i would get 1-5 viewers doing no work or promoting. When i stream youtube now with my small youtube channel, im lucky to get one viewer sometimes. The nice part about streaming to youtube is it archives my video right away, and it tells my subs that i posted a new video. Vs with twitch you can download your stream and bring it to youtube, but i think there is a quality drop.
A lot of people do say Twitch but is this because it has been around longer and was the first to allow people to live stream? Until YouTube added this option for gamers (From what Ive researched anyway). I think I might stick to You Tube for now! Im still getting myself used to all my gadgets and learning how to set it all up properly!Like PureDangles said, I like that it will rchive my livestream with the rest of my produced videos! (I think we did talk about our dogs :p )... I might try Twitch in the future. I guess with experience and experimenting I will figure it out!

It's a completely different beast tbh if you mean YT Gaming vs Twitch then it's 100% twitch for various reasons.

Reg. Youtube:
>Buried by the algorithm
>Hard to break out since you have since 2006 worth of gaming vids to outrank to get an audience
>Let's plays today don't draw anywhere near what they did back in 2010. Game channels like NCS, Clement, ect barely pull anything and they are huge even now. Mainly because it's switched from let's plays and reviews to AVGN ripoffs, PewDiePie genre people, and Reviewers that do the jontron sorta stuff (see normal boots)
>If you want to break out it's more about pick 1 single game, be amazing at it or funny, and stick with it for like 10000 episodes.

YT Gaming:
>Decent live platform, it works. It does that at least.
>Terrible interface, very small audiences due to overcrowding and horrid front page interface. People aren't used to it enough. (For Example: I have 6k subs on my main channel. Get maybe 2 viewers tops on YT Gaming VS 35-50 on a regular hangout)
>Unless you are already huge in gaming... don't bother.

Twitch:
>Buried if you play the top ranked games and your new
>Great interface, can play anything and find SOMEBODY to watch because the stream times are different, the categories are by any game you wanna see (just search for a game)
>More people in chat hanging out, a lot more hype and better environment.
>Epic Emoji's and flame wars in chat are always hilarious
>It's much more built from the ground up for gamers vs YT cashing in with YTGaming since amazon stole that twitch buyout deal before google could get it.
>VOD section is.... sparse. It only keeps the footage for two weeks so if your about LP's just export em to your YT channel as an archive.

My advice is to try twitch and YT gaming. I personally think twitch is much better for building an audience.

Monetization wise: Youtube > Twitch. Simply due to YT gives you ad rev from the start.

Twitch is all about crowdfunding aka donations, subscribers (which you can't get from the start; gotta have a big enough fanbase for it; then hoping people pay $5 a month to sub for emotes).

Honestly for money, i'd say do twitch, set up all the complicated stuff for the alerts and such. Go through the hassle, and have a donation bar where you have your most recent donator OR highest donator of the night. Once you build an audience people will wage war to be the top guy for their name on screen. Takes time regardless of platform. Twitch is much more solid tho and easier to break out.
Thanks, sums the thread up nicely!. Although from what I have learnt I think the use of search engine optimisation has a lot to do with how you rank or how well you do with You Tube. I do not know much about it as you can tell by the start of this thread, I have a friend that helps me with SEO. I didnt even know it existed before YouTube :p

THANKYOU EVERYONE FOR THEIR FEEDBACK AND COMMENTS. MUCH APPRECIATED :D
Looks like more people voted YouTube!

Pheelyks

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
A lot of people do say Twitch but is this because it has been around longer and was the first to allow people to live stream? Until YouTube added this option for gamers (From what Ive researched anyway). I think I might stick to You Tube for now! Im still getting myself used to all my gadgets and learning how to set it all up properly!Like PureDangles said, I like that it will rchive my livestream with the rest of my produced videos! (I think we did talk about our dogs :p )... I might try Twitch in the future. I guess with experience and experimenting I will figure it out!
In part it's because Twitch has been around longer. I've also heard that Twitch has better quality for streaming and it's easier than on YT. There's also the audience size issue. Most people looking to watch someone streaming a game will go to Twitch, not YouTube, as it's the better known platform when it comes to streaming.

Spolt

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I feel like YouTube is better since most people don't have the time to sit and watch a live stream but with YouTube on the other hand, people can sit down and enjoy your video when they have the time to.

CharlieeLou

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
In part it's because Twitch has been around longer. I've also heard that Twitch has better quality for streaming and it's easier than on YT. There's also the audience size issue. Most people looking to watch someone streaming a game will go to Twitch, not YouTube, as it's the better known platform when it comes to streaming.
Such a shame. I feel like You Tube is so underrated when it comes to live streaming!

I feel like YouTube is better since most people don't have the time to sit and watch a live stream but with YouTube on the other hand, people can sit down and enjoy your video when they have the time to.
This is true! I like doing a mixture of pre recorded and live streams so atm You Tube is probably best!