YouTube video has gone viral, can I gain anything from it?

MrFooFoo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So just over the most recent weekend a fellow uploaded a video to his social networking profile page. I watched it and thought it was great, worth sharing it. That's when I noticed it wasn't on YouTube where it deserved to be, so I took liberty of downloading his video and uploading it to the tube. Well I didn't expect to wake up and find it went viral, with nearly 2,500,000 MILLION views. Front page of reddit, and all over internet on blogs and news websites. I received an email from one of the largest viral media licensing companies wanting to make a deal with me and license the video and work with it. I would of received 70% of the revenue and an advanced payment of $1000. Of course I didn't claim ownership, and they rightfully got in contact with the correct owner of the video. Of which is great, I'am glad they reached out to the owner. I have spoken to the owner of the video he is happy with the way things have turned out, and he seems quite humble about it all. He is actually getting a decent amount of recognition for the video. I was told by the licensing company that they were happy for me to keep up the video, but to add particular information in the description, I guess to show the licensing of the video. I also credited the owner of the video with their "whatever" information. For adding the licensing information I was given $50 USD. The video has now reached 5 and a half million views and and is continuing to climb it way up the numbers.

I'am here because I feel that there is a lot of money being made via this video on my YouTube, from the licensing company, and of course the AdSense that has been added to the video. I do not want to have a selfish attitude to the video, but I feel I'am loosing out on something here. If it wasn't for myself adding the video for the world to see, it wouldn't be everywhere, if I didn't use the specific tag ti may of not got the recognition it does currently, I understand I am reaping the benefit of YouTube subscriptions by the minute of which I can now use to my advantage..and start using my YouTube channel for something creative. I also feel I am ultimately in control of this video and I can also delete it and everyone looses. (I wouldn't do this by the way). The video is everywhere now, so somebody else would just claim all the views.

All in all, I'am rather neutral int he situation, but I thought I would come here and ask.. is there anything else I can gain from the scenario? or Should I just be happy with what I have gained?

Best Regards,
MrFooFoo

Last edited:
Reactions: GamersName

Reina

YTT's Grey Warden
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator
Well, you were one of the factors who contributed to the virality of the video. That can't be denied and I'm sure that he's grateful to you. However, I felt that you should have asked him whether you could upload the video to YouTube or not first as it didn't belong to you. You recognised the awesome potential in his content, but I think it's right that he should be the one taking the chunk of the profits. I think that what you're getting now - high view counts, viewer retention rate, high subscriber rates, etc. is pretty beneficial considering the fact that you uploaded someone else's video and he's actually okay with it. Just saying, mate. He could have said no and might have requested for you to take down his video from YouTube for copyright infringement. I think that you're getting a lot in exchange for content that you didn't make.

Since he uploaded his video on a social network, I'm sure that it would have gained some traction anyway and would have been shared at an alarming rate on FB, Twitter, or whatever the social network is.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrFooFoo

GamersName

String_not_found
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
From your explanation it looks like you did well with actions regarding the situation you was pushed in so to speak. Hard to say if you can gain anything else from it, if that person who originally created the video and is rightful owner of it is generous and understands that he gains all this revenue and sudden popularity (i assume), could share the fruits of this video with you too... Don't see any other option from this if you do not want to look greedy or something, and congratz on success of that video - hope your channel will succeed from it! Don't abandon your chance now! :) GL

ToxicSludge

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It's not your property so you don't deserve anything. You reuploaded it to your account without his permission. What if the owner didn't want it on YouTube for some reason?

Sorry bud, but it's the hard truth. You did the right thing by directing the licensing company to the right guy, but if you didn't you would've had a nice legal fight on your hands.

Try and make the most of these subscribers that have subscribed to you based on one video. Most likey they will be dead subs and won't watch your videos, so make the most out of the opportunity.

Edit: this info is based on the reasoning that you will come back, since your first and only post here was how to financially gain from something that's not yours.

MiKimDot

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
The internet is something interesting, but if the viral video is the one I actually think it is, it actually feels like something that would go viral, that video is monster.

People using viral videos to actually start content, I already seen that before actually with the video "Well, this just happened on The Simpsons", which original one actually got viral even thought it wasnt on a channel any close related to Fox, after it went viral, the user actually started uploading Let's plays videos (Thought he didnt uploaded constantly, like five videos in 3 weeks, his first uploaded let's play after the viral video got 18K views in 3 weeks, which is actually crazy for a "new channel").

I would say, if the owner of the video is content with it as stated on your text, I would say why not, it is an rare opportunity and there will be definitelly a possible public for your videos (Also known as, people that watch a viral video then check your channel, and then by chance decide to check your videos)

ThioJoe

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Well, since you didn't make the video, you can't monetize. However, you could cut a deal with the original video owner to kind of "manage" the video (set up monetization, join a network if you want, etc) and negotiate a split between you two. He is the sole owner of the copyright, but if he doesn't know how to monetize a video on youtube it might be worth it to do it all for him for a commission.

EleniVTV

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Guru, Vlogger, Comedian
I agree that you aren't owed anything. Maybe the owner of the video has a channel that is getting some success and would like to collab or shout out?

MrFooFoo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks to everyone who responded, I greatly appreciate it. It has given my great clarity to it all.

I should of asked him prior to uploading it, I do have to agree with you all there, there is no denying that. ToxicSludge's no need to create a "wag-the-dog illusion" I don't actually care about financial gain. Everything else you said however, is pretty much spot on, thank you! ;)

All in all, Iv'e come to terms with everything, I'am quite happy that I have created Internet success for somebody, they way I went about it was a risky way of doing it, but alas it happened. Your all correct in saying that I could always ask the owner if he wanted to collaborate, or make a deal etc... but I think I am happy with they way it is now. I got 50 bucks, a heap of subscribers, and made internet fame for someone...sort of. So I think I shall take this opportunity and use it for something creative, and share something with the world rather than anything for financial gain.

I do like what you had to say there MiKimDot, interesting.

Thank you for all your comments, I much appreciate it. :)

MrFooFoo

Reactions: Reina

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I do not want to have a selfish attitude to the video, but I feel I'am loosing out on something here.
You stole somebody's video and uploaded it to your own channel. The only thing you are loosing (sic) out on is a copyright strike.

It's like saying you stole somebody'painting from their house and you hung it up in your gallery and you're now complaining that nobody wants to pay you (when in reality, you'd be arrested for burglary)

(moved to the copyright forum where this belongs.......)